Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When deleting an SMS, why does it query about spam?

We all get tons of SMS messages for logon verification and the like. I like to delete these. But now, Apple has added an extra step every single time I choose to delete an SMS: asking whether it should be reported as spam.

This is an extra step, and extra tap, dozens of times a day. I'm just deleting it, Apple! I appreciate the option of being able to report spam SMS (though these reports, so far, only provide psychological satisfaction since the report doesn't seem to actually do anything), but I don't want to have to go through that extra step every single time I delete a text.

In general, Apple makes it much too hard to delete texts. We get tons we don't want. But each has to be individually deleted on each device, often needing 3, 4, or 5 steps. It's infuriating. I get that we don't want to delete them too easily, either... we all make mistakes! ... but Apple has tilted the bar way too far towards making deletion a pain. It's enough to make me wonder whether Apple is data-mining SMS messages and wants them accessible.

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 3:31 PM

PQuincy wrote:

Well, with my iPhone 12, an iMac and a Mac Air, I have had to delete SMS messages (Apple and non-Apple) on all three. Deleting one one does not delete on the other machines. Meanwhile, I disagree that getting an SMS from a new number is "usually spam". I get them constantly for two-factor authentication, and I doubt I am the only one!

Yes, you must have Message sharing/syncing in iCloud setup and activated on each device, and then deleting from one will delete it from all of them:

Use Messages in iCloud - Apple Support

No problem that Apple is not actively managing spam SMS, that's not their responsibility, I agree. And I do appreciate the mechanism for reporting spam SMS. It's just that we all get many SMS that are not spam but we do want to delete, and an extra step every single time is a pain. Equally, having to Control-click, select "delete", and click on "delete" to delete an SMS on my Macs is too many steps as well.

Let Apple know of your concerns here; they do read and act on them:

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2022 3:31 PM in response to PQuincy

PQuincy wrote:

Well, with my iPhone 12, an iMac and a Mac Air, I have had to delete SMS messages (Apple and non-Apple) on all three. Deleting one one does not delete on the other machines. Meanwhile, I disagree that getting an SMS from a new number is "usually spam". I get them constantly for two-factor authentication, and I doubt I am the only one!

Yes, you must have Message sharing/syncing in iCloud setup and activated on each device, and then deleting from one will delete it from all of them:

No problem that Apple is not actively managing spam SMS, that's not their responsibility, I agree. And I do appreciate the mechanism for reporting spam SMS. It's just that we all get many SMS that are not spam but we do want to delete, and an extra step every single time is a pain. Equally, having to Control-click, select "delete", and click on "delete" to delete an SMS on my Macs is too many steps as well.

Let Apple know of your concerns here; they do read and act on them:

Sep 22, 2022 3:14 PM in response to PQuincy

No, Apple isn't data mining.

For most people, if they receive an unsolicited SMS message from someone not in their contacts that they have not interacted with before, that is usually a SPAM message and Apple has made it easier to report it as such.

When a message is reported as SPAM it is not reported to Apple, but rather to your cellular carrier as SMS is a cellular carrier feature.

It makes the entire process slightly easier than following whatever steps your carrier requires to report a spam SMS directly to them.

As far as deleting texts, if your devices share and sync messages via iCloud, deleting a message from one will remove it from all your devices using iCloud to sync messages.

Sep 22, 2022 3:23 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

When deleting an SMS, why does it query about spam?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.