Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovering old ID

So I was using iPhone 5s long back and had made Apple ID using my mobile number, years later I bought an iPad and made new Apple ID in it and started using it only to realise I cannot add that phone number to this new account which I wanted to do because I had purchases from new account. So I permanently deleted the old Apple ID which was my phone number thinking I’ll be able to add that same phone number to my new account but after 2 months I still can not add that number and getting the error that it can not verify that number, what should I do now I am buying a new iPhone which needs that number to be added to the account to use iMessage and FaceTime.

iPad Air, iPadOS 15

Posted on Sep 23, 2022 12:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2022 7:03 AM

Hey Motabhai1,

We'd be happy to help out if you're unable to activate your phone number for use with iMessage and FaceTime.

To get started, we'd suggest working through the following steps, as they're best equipped to assist with this issue:

Check your device settings
1. Make sure that you’re connected to a cellular data or Wi-Fi network. 
2. If you're using an iPhone, you need SMS messaging to activate your phone number with iMessage and FaceTime. Depending on your carrier, you might be charged for this SMS.
3. Go to Settings > General > Date & Time and make sure that your time zone is set correctly.

Turn off and restart iMessage and FaceTime
1. Go to Settings > Messages and turn off iMessage.
2. Go to Settings > FaceTime and turn off FaceTime.
3. Restart your device:
iPhone
iPad
iPod touch
4. Turn iMessage and FaceTime back on.

Still not activated after a day? 
It might take up to 24 hours to activate iMessage and FaceTime. If the issue continues after 24 hours, follow these steps:
1. Make sure that your device has the latest version of iOS or iPadOS.
2. If you're using an iPhone, contact your carrier to make sure that you can send and receive SMS messages.
3. Make sure you can send and receive SMS. If a prompt appears stating "Your carrier may charge for SMS messages used to activate FaceTime and iMessage", tap "OK" to allow possible SMS charges.
4. Contact Apple Support.

All this information and more is available here: If you can’t turn on or sign in to iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support

We hope this helps out.

Take care!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2022 7:03 AM in response to Motabhai1

Hey Motabhai1,

We'd be happy to help out if you're unable to activate your phone number for use with iMessage and FaceTime.

To get started, we'd suggest working through the following steps, as they're best equipped to assist with this issue:

Check your device settings
1. Make sure that you’re connected to a cellular data or Wi-Fi network. 
2. If you're using an iPhone, you need SMS messaging to activate your phone number with iMessage and FaceTime. Depending on your carrier, you might be charged for this SMS.
3. Go to Settings > General > Date & Time and make sure that your time zone is set correctly.

Turn off and restart iMessage and FaceTime
1. Go to Settings > Messages and turn off iMessage.
2. Go to Settings > FaceTime and turn off FaceTime.
3. Restart your device:
iPhone
iPad
iPod touch
4. Turn iMessage and FaceTime back on.

Still not activated after a day? 
It might take up to 24 hours to activate iMessage and FaceTime. If the issue continues after 24 hours, follow these steps:
1. Make sure that your device has the latest version of iOS or iPadOS.
2. If you're using an iPhone, contact your carrier to make sure that you can send and receive SMS messages.
3. Make sure you can send and receive SMS. If a prompt appears stating "Your carrier may charge for SMS messages used to activate FaceTime and iMessage", tap "OK" to allow possible SMS charges.
4. Contact Apple Support.

All this information and more is available here: If you can’t turn on or sign in to iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support

We hope this helps out.

Take care!

Recovering old ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.