Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Confirm MacBook Pro Password not working

Hello,

my Macbook Pro (13-inch, M2, 2022) with macOS Monterey 12.6 asks me the following in System Preferences, Apple ID: "Confirm Macbook Pro Password - To continue using iCloud, confirm your MacBook Pro password." (See attached Screenshot 1)

When i click on "Continue" a window opens where i have to continue again (see attached Screenshot 2) - then a little blank window appears and closes instantly, so that i cannot do anything. (See attached Screenshot 3)

Steps already taken:

• Restart of the computer
  • Signing in and out of iCloud multiple times

A Screen recording of the problem would be available.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 23, 2022 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2022 8:10 AM

Hey there Nafets1234,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. For help with troubleshooting this particular issue, we'd like to have test the issue in safe mode. This can help to determine if the issue is caused by some software that loads a your MacBook starts up.

For help with testing the issue in safe mode, and what to do if the issue does or doesn't occur in safe mode, check out this link here: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Apple silicon
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

If the issue continues in safe mode
If the issue continues while in safe mode, or your Mac restarts several times and then shuts down while starting up in safe mode, you should reinstall macOS and make sure that your Apple software and third-party apps are up to date.

If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode
If the issue doesn't continue while in safe mode, leave safe mode by restarting your Mac normally. Then test for the issue again. The issue might be resolved.

If the issue returns after leaving safe mode, startup items are probably at fault. Apps can install such items in numerous places, and they aren't always easy to find or recognize. For that reason, you should first make sure that you've installed any available updates for your Apple software and third-party apps.

If updating your software doesn't help, try any of these solutions:
- Test your login items.
- To learn whether software in your user account is causing the issue, set up a new user account, then log in to it and try to reproduce the issue in that account.
- Unplug all accessories from your Mac, including printers, drives, USB hubs, and other nonessential devices. You could have an issue with one or more of those devices or their cables.
- Reinstall macOS.

If you still need help, please contact Apple Support.

Keep us updated on the results.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2022 8:10 AM in response to Nafets1234

Hey there Nafets1234,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. For help with troubleshooting this particular issue, we'd like to have test the issue in safe mode. This can help to determine if the issue is caused by some software that loads a your MacBook starts up.

For help with testing the issue in safe mode, and what to do if the issue does or doesn't occur in safe mode, check out this link here: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Apple silicon
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
3. Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
4. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

If the issue continues in safe mode
If the issue continues while in safe mode, or your Mac restarts several times and then shuts down while starting up in safe mode, you should reinstall macOS and make sure that your Apple software and third-party apps are up to date.

If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode
If the issue doesn't continue while in safe mode, leave safe mode by restarting your Mac normally. Then test for the issue again. The issue might be resolved.

If the issue returns after leaving safe mode, startup items are probably at fault. Apps can install such items in numerous places, and they aren't always easy to find or recognize. For that reason, you should first make sure that you've installed any available updates for your Apple software and third-party apps.

If updating your software doesn't help, try any of these solutions:
- Test your login items.
- To learn whether software in your user account is causing the issue, set up a new user account, then log in to it and try to reproduce the issue in that account.
- Unplug all accessories from your Mac, including printers, drives, USB hubs, and other nonessential devices. You could have an issue with one or more of those devices or their cables.
- Reinstall macOS.

If you still need help, please contact Apple Support.

Keep us updated on the results.

Have a great day!

Jan 14, 2023 8:47 AM in response to Nafets1234

I've had this problem for over a year - first with my M1 and then even when I sold that and moved over to the M2, the issue still persisted. I also did took the steps that you had already taken as well as called Apple and they couldn't figure it out. This morning I did what another user did but took it a step further and it fixed the problem.

1. go to system settings and sign out of apple id
  2. completely shut down the computer (do not "restart" - actually shut it down)
  3. I waited at least 30 seconds if not a minute and then turned it back on
  4. go back to system settings and sign in again - enter in your info and instead of the box that flashes and then goes away after you push continue, it should come up with a box that asks you to put in your apple phone passcode. After confirming all the information, I still had to sign in once again, but then I no longer had the annoying message that tells me to confirm my password.

Hope this works for you!

Jan 8, 2023 2:48 AM in response to Nafets1234

I got a similar issue shortly after upgrading my M1 MacBook Pro (2021) to macOS Ventura 13.1 from macOS Monterey. I initially tried just doing a simple restart, which didn't solve it. I then tried signing out from iCloud and signing back in again. But when attempting to sign back in, it again asked for my Mac Password and rejected it. I again tried doing a restart and it still failed.

I eventually solved it by doing a full shut down, and then turning it back on again. After this, attempting to sign in to iCloud, it prompted for my Mac password and accepted it. I don't know why shutting it down fully fixed it, but a simple restart didn't.

Feb 10, 2023 2:54 AM in response to Nafets1234

SOLVED

I had the same annoying issue in the last month (MacBook Pro M1 2021).

I solved this today with Apple Support by phone.

That popup is asking for the local admin user you first created when you setup your mac book pro initially.

Anyway, if you type the right password, you get a "wrong password" message.

What worked for me was:

• Go to Settings -> Users and Groups
  • Find your Admin user in the list and click on "i"
  • Change password and provide a new one temporary one (the same password denied before should work here in the "current password" field)
  • Once confirmed, the annoying popup should disappear
  • You could also reset it again with the previous one used

Hope this could help others with this issue

Confirm MacBook Pro Password not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.