Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail search only finding some emails

Using the search function to search through specific folders only turns up some of the emails that fit the search query. I am frequently searching for a person/email address, so this is not just a problem with the keywords I am using or the full-text indexing.

Some nteresting observations:

• If I manually scroll down and open an email that would fit my search query that did not appear in my search results before, it will not suddenly appear in them. So this is probably an indexing issue.
  • I notice this problem particularly badly occurring in nested folders - however, normal folders (like "sent") are still affected
  • If I "search all mailboxes", many of the emails I was looking for do pop up, but only because Mail finds them in "Archive" or "Important"

Things I've tried to fix this problem:

1. Use "rebuild mailbox": nothing happens upon button press
  2. Delete the Envelope files in the `~/Library/Mail/V9/MailData` folder: index is rebuilt but mail search is still not working
  3. SQL vacuum the envelope file: same thing happens
  4. Rebuild Spotlight index: that often changes the emails that are found but it doesn't fix the problem
  5. Update macOS

All to no avail.

Posted on Sep 23, 2022 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2022 7:11 AM

jonas_q wrote:

• Using the search function to search through specific folders only turns up some of the emails that fit the search query. I am frequently searching for a person/email address, so this is not just a problem with the keywords I am using or the full-text indexing.

4. Rebuild Spotlight index: that often changes the emails that are found but it doesn't fix the problem
5. Update macOS

All to no avail.

Use the drag and drop of the HD icon...

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2022 7:11 AM in response to jonas_q

jonas_q wrote:

• Using the search function to search through specific folders only turns up some of the emails that fit the search query. I am frequently searching for a person/email address, so this is not just a problem with the keywords I am using or the full-text indexing.

5. Update macOS

All to no avail.

Use the drag and drop of the HD icon...

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Apple Mail search only finding some emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.