Why did my iPhone 14 screen go black?

My new iPhone 14pro max has a black screen this morning following its regular overnight charge. I have tried the reset and it is now plugged in via a cord hoping this will work. Anyone else had this issue?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 23, 2022 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2022 7:55 AM

I saw a tutorial ; press the up volume button once then the down volume once and hold the power button on the right side until you see the Apple logo. This resets the iPhone. It’s a firmware bug. I hope Apple fixes this soon. I had a mini melt down

196 replies

Nov 28, 2022 1:17 AM in response to flb777

Hi everyone.

I woke up this morning and found out that this had happened to my iPhone 14 pro max. The tip of volume up/down then hold the power button worked after a few tries (thankfully), but what I'm amazed at is that this was first reported 2 months ago and still hasn't been fixed by Apple. It's the first time this has happened to an iPhone of mine (and I've had them all!), but come on Apple, this should be fixed by now.

Sep 27, 2022 9:08 AM in response to flb777

FYI, 16.0.2 did NOT fix the problem on my 14 Pro as hoped. I put it back on my wireless charger last night for the first time since my overnight BSOD a week ago. When I woke up this morning, it was clear the phone had rebooted (passcode required; different home screen widgets showing). I opened the battery app and found it had been unresponsive for 3 hours overnight, then re-booted itself. My first BSOD occurrence while charging overnight was similar but never rebooted. This is really annoying...

Black Screen of Death

BTW, there's a 300+ post on Reddit discussing the issue. It seems to be highly correlated with charging, especially overnight charging, both wired and wireless. There are a couple of cases where this happened while not charging, but those seem rare. I'm surprised it hasn't appeared in the press yet. The Click Vol Up, Click Vol Down, Hold Sleep button until logo appears (up to a minute or two!) fix seems to revive the phone in all cases I've seen...

Oct 19, 2022 12:08 PM in response to RetiredAvenger

On your iPhone 14, press and hold the button on the right side of the phone - It will engage Siri.

Ask Siri to turn up the brightness. A slider will appear on the screen.

Slide to turn up the brightness on the screen.

It won’t stop the issue from happening again, (happened to me, again, this morning) but it works. You won’t have to reboot your phone.

Jan 1, 2023 3:23 AM in response to flb777

Plugged my iphone in at 3am and at 9am it’s completely dead - so disappointing that a 7 day old £1k plus iPhone 14 Promax can do this but with no support or mention from Apple.

Volume up down and long hold on power button worked after a frantic look on Google.

Cmon Apple get your act together and look after your loyal customers

Oct 19, 2022 6:54 AM in response to webs-shawn

On your iPhone 14, press and hold the button on the right side of the phone - It will engage Siri.

Ask Siri to turn up the brightness. A slider will appear on the screen.

Slide to turn up the brightness on the screen.

It won’t stop the issue from happening again, (happened to me, again, this morning) but it works. You won’t have to reboot your phone.

Jan 18, 2023 7:08 PM in response to flb777

Had the black screen of death twice. I spent hours with Tech support on the phone and in the Apple store

i was told they would replace my display

I made an appointment to have it installed after receiving an email confirming the part was being held for me

call the Apple Store to confirm

took time off work to have part installed

i was told “oh we had an internal memo saying not to replace this part it won’t fix the problem “.

i asked to see the memo. NOPE

i asked why no one contacted to save me the trip. THEY DON’T DO THAT

i for an apology. WHY

i asked for a new phone. NOPE

how is it a company gets so big they loose site of customer care

I am beyond disappointed and disgusted

still have a phone that could go black screen if death anytime

Oct 20, 2022 3:42 PM in response to TomLobo

Ask Siri to turn up the brightness - literally say, “Turn up the Brightness.” Even though the screen is black, a slider will appear on the screen.

Slide the slider, to the right, to turn up the brightness on the screen.

It won’t stop the issue from happening again, but it works. You won’t have to reboot your phone.

Nov 11, 2022 10:54 AM in response to flb777

There is an easy fix for this. It won’t stop it happening again, but you won’t have to reboot your phone.

On your iPhone 14, press and hold the button on the right side of the phone - It will engage Siri. You won’t see the Siri animation on the screen - the screen will still be black.

While holding the button down, ask Siri to turn up the brightness -

Actually say:

“Turn up the Brightness.”

Even though the screen is black, a slider will appear on the screen.

It won’t stop the issue from happening again, but it works. You won’t have to reboot your phone.

Dec 12, 2022 4:47 PM in response to Toooldforthis33

Hello Toooldforthis33

This has happened to me several times, since I bought my iPhone 14 Pro. Your phone is not dead. The screen brightness turned itself all the way down, to black. There’s a quick and easy solution to restore the brightness, on your screen.

Ask Siri to turn up the brightness - literally say, “Turn up the Brightness.” Even though the screen is black, a slider will appear on the screen.

Dec 2, 2022 9:31 AM in response to flb777

The first time this happened on my Iphone 14, the reset worked (volume buttons, then hold power button for a long time). It just happened again this morning when i took it off USB charger. Reset did not work. Tried 3-4 times . Finally, after holding power button for a long long time, a message popped up that showed message to connect phone to computer. When i connected to computer it said I needed update to firmware. Said 9 minutes remaining. We will see if this is a permanent fix.

Why did my iPhone 14 screen go black?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.