Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

S/MIME Certificate Selection

Hi,

On my iPhone 11 Pro Max I have an S/MIME certificate installed for my iCloud email account. It expired. I obtained another S/MIME certificate, emailed it to myself, and installed it.

The issue is I can't select the new certificate for my iCloud account. It still uses the old certificate. How do I select the new certificate? That is possible for other email addresses, but I can't see where to select the new certificate for the iCloud email address.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 23, 2022 6:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2022 11:18 AM

Hello jtjbt20x,

For help with enabling the encryption, test the steps below found in the article here: Use S/MIME to send and receive encrypted messages in the Mail app in iOS - Apple Support

"Enable message encryption

When you configure S/MIME for your account, you can choose to "Encrypt by Default" when you compose new messages:

1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Choose Mail > Accounts.
  3. Select the account that has messages that you want to encrypt by default.
  4. Choose Account > Advanced > Encrypt by Default, then turn on Encrypt by Default.

When you reply to or forward a message, the encryption state of your message matches the state of the incoming message rather than your system default setting. You can also use the blue Lock button in the address field to change the encryption state of an outgoing message."

You can find additional information in the "Trust a recipient's signature manually" section of the same article.

Cheers.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2022 11:18 AM in response to jtjbt20x

Hello jtjbt20x,

For help with enabling the encryption, test the steps below found in the article here: Use S/MIME to send and receive encrypted messages in the Mail app in iOS - Apple Support

"Enable message encryption

When you configure S/MIME for your account, you can choose to "Encrypt by Default" when you compose new messages:

1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Choose Mail > Accounts.
  3. Select the account that has messages that you want to encrypt by default.
  4. Choose Account > Advanced > Encrypt by Default, then turn on Encrypt by Default.

When you reply to or forward a message, the encryption state of your message matches the state of the incoming message rather than your system default setting. You can also use the blue Lock button in the address field to change the encryption state of an outgoing message."

You can find additional information in the "Trust a recipient's signature manually" section of the same article.

Cheers.

Sep 26, 2022 1:24 PM in response to OrigamiFan1

Thanks, but that doesn't pertain to my situation. This is for the iCloud account that I'm signed into, and there is a different process to select the certificate for it. I had to go into Settings/my name at the top/iCloud/iCloud Mail/iCloud Mail Settings/Advanced/Sign. Those seven menu steps took a while to find by poking around in settings.

But thanks for trying, I appreciate it.

S/MIME Certificate Selection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.