Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SPILLED NAIL POLISH REMOVER ON 2021 MACBOOK PRO

Hi y’all! I spilled nail polish remover (contains acetone) on my 1 year old 2021 mac book pro. i had a keyboard cover, so i do not think a lot of it spilled into the keyboard, but a good amount got into my mousepad. i cleaned it up as fast as i could, i think it was on it for abt 30 seconds, and then turned it off and put it in the tent position to let it drain of any remainder. but i am rly worried that it might cause internal damage and ill have to pay for a brand new one

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 23, 2022 7:46 PM

5 replies

Sep 23, 2022 8:11 PM in response to ayf753

Read ▶︎ Liquid Damage (not covered by warranty). 

Turning on a wet machine can cause more damage and increase the cost of repair. ⚠️

Based on your situation, I recommend service.

Service Checklist:

Click ▶︎ Start a Service Request. ⚛️

Need more help?

Click ▶︎ Check Repair Status. 🔧

Sep 24, 2022 7:47 AM in response to ayf753

The body is made of solid anodized aluminum, which is impervious to acetone. The trackpad SURFACE is made of glass, which is impervious to acetone.

One attribute in your favor is that acetone flashes off quickly and does not cause lingering corrosion weeks or months later, as water spills can.

If any acetone dripped through the keyboard or the crack around the track-pad, it might cause damage inside. it would be best to get it inspected, and if there is internal damage, get it repaired now.

Sep 24, 2022 7:59 AM in response to ayf753

Your Genius Bar appointment at an Apple-owned store for an evaluation is free, in warranty or out.

Apple Authorized Service Providers may charge an 'evaluation fee', to discourage you from consuming their expensive technical time with frivolous complaints and inspections. If you have them make any repairs (that you pay for or Apple pays for under warranty), you should ask for a rebate of the evaluation fee. The worst they can say is 'no'.

SPILLED NAIL POLISH REMOVER ON 2021 MACBOOK PRO

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.