Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 14 Pro Stock Camera takes Blurry Photos

Every photo I have taken of anything moving, even slightly, is blurry. I still have my iPhone 12 Pro and have taken the same picture side by side and the 12 photo is not blurry at all. All of the settings are the same. Planning to return the 14 Pro. Anyone else experiencing this?

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 24, 2022 7:05 AM

29 replies

Jan 7, 2023 12:45 PM in response to SNKEATR

Always nice to see a fellow Nikon shooter; I shoot a D850 myself.

The camera system will always have depth of field that is a bit shallow by design; not quite as bad as you claim, but apertures are fairly large to allow for enhanced low light performance and there is no mechanical aperture iris in phone cameras.

For the 14 Pro/Pro Max, Apple specifies:

• 48MP Main: 24 mm, ƒ/1.78 aperture, second-generation sensor-shift optical image stabilization, seven‑element lens, 100% Focus Pixels

• 12MP Ultra Wide: 13 mm, ƒ/2.2 aperture and 120° field of view, six‑element lens, 100% Focus Pixels

• 12MP 2x Telephoto (enabled by quad-pixel sensor): 48 mm, ƒ/1.78 aperture, second-generation sensor-shift optical image stabilization, seven‑element lens, 100% Focus Pixels

• 12MP 3x Telephoto: 77 mm, ƒ/2.8 aperture, optical image stabilization, six-element lens

People did complain about similar issues with the 13 Pro/Pro Max, but it is true the newer camera has a longer minimum focus distance when not using macro mode due to the larger, higher resolution sensor despite the larger aperture for the 13 Pro/Pro Max's default "wide" lens:

• Pro 12MP camera system: Telephoto, Wide, and Ultra Wide cameras
  • Telephoto: ƒ/2.8 aperture
  • Wide: ƒ/1.5 aperture
  • Ultra Wide: ƒ/1.8 aperture and 120° field of view

That having been said, it's very possible to get images with wonderful DoF with the 14 Pro/Pro Max's cameras, and if you consistently cannot, I suggest you have your phone examined to make sure yours is operating properly:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

You may also wish to try downloading one of the third-party camera apps that gives you more control, such as Halide or ProCam.

Sep 26, 2022 12:54 PM in response to Bca2022

Greetings Bca2022,

You can find guidance to get the most from your iPhone camera here:

Take and edit photos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Use iPhone camera tools to set up your shot - Apple Support

"Adjust the camera’s focus and exposure

Before you take a photo, the iPhone camera automatically sets the focus and exposure, and face detection balances the exposure across many faces. If you want to manually adjust the focus and exposure, do the following:

1. Open Camera.
  2. Tap the screen to show the automatic focus area and exposure setting.
  3. Tap where you want to move the focus area.
  4. Next to the focus area, drag the Adjust Exposure button up or down to adjust the exposure.
  5. To lock your manual focus and exposure settings for upcoming shots, touch and hold the focus area until you see AE/AF Lock; tap the screen to unlock settings.

On iPhone 11 and later, you can precisely set and lock the exposure for upcoming shots. Tap the Camera Controls button, tap the Exposure button, then move the slider to adjust the exposure. The exposure locks until the next time you open Camera. To save the exposure control so it’s not reset when you open Camera, go to Settings  > Camera > Preserve Settings, then turn on Exposure Adjustment."

Take care.

Oct 8, 2022 6:17 PM in response to Bca2022

Having this exact same issue. Every picture I’ve taken since I got the 14 Pro Max is blurry, they look absolutely terrible! Made a huge mistake by already sending my 12 Pro Max in for trade, it took way better pictures. Seems like either a major fail with this pixel binning or whatever… My wife’s 14 Pro is also doing it so I’m thinking it isn’t just a fluke with my particular phone.

Dec 29, 2022 4:59 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

I too have been looking into why me and my wife’s iPhone 14 Pro Max are taking blurry photos. At this point there are multiple threads of complaints on the issue.

It’s already been stated in another thread that Apple has told a customer that they are aware of the issue.

Blurry pics on iPhone 14 Pro Max (iOS 16.… - Apple Community

[Edited by Moderator]

Oct 29, 2022 2:28 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

To clarify, after using for a few weeks I do get decent pictures in bright lighting conditions, but I find myself having to delete and retake because of grainy or blurry photos even in those conditions occasionally, never or very rarely had to do that with my iPhone 12 Pro Max. The real problem is indoor lighting or not direct sunlight. Attached are a few examples of pics where the pictures turn out blurry or grainy in those conditions. Not sure if it’s image processing or image stabilization causing the issues. Before I take the picture the shot looks good on the screen, but after I snap the photo it turn out like what you see in the pics below.

Nov 12, 2022 3:28 PM in response to SixBrew

I am having the exact same problem. The only reason for my upgrade from my iPhone 11 Pro was the camera and I’ve been so disappointed by the quality of the 14 pro max. I have even put photos side by side from the 11 pro and 14 pro max in similar conditions and it shows the same blurred grainy effect on photos from the 14 pro max. I am thinking of returning this phone …

Jan 7, 2023 11:02 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

There is clearly an issue with the camera on the 14 Pro, and I’m not basing that on anything but experience.

I have been into photography for quite a while now (currently shooting with a Nikon Z9 as my primary, D850 as a backup), and I frequently use my iPhone now for certain things, as the cameras have become very good over the past couple of years and it makes them simple to share. That said, the 14 seems to have taken a step backwards (may just be a software issue, but that’s Apple’s job to figure out…if the advertised information is correct, then it would have to be in the software)…I don’t use it for anything but stationary photos, and regardless of settings, I cannot get it to focus on the entire frame (for example, if I take a picture of a sports card, I get a picture that looks like it was taken with an f-stop of 1 or lower, creating a bokeh effect on the corners/edges).

I’m curious to know if any of the people having issues shooting moving objects are having the same issue…it may not be the “movement” causing the issue, but rather the same “glitch” that’s causing the Bokeh effect on my stills.

**Note: I’ve been using iPhones for over 10 years now, and have had every model since I started. The 13 Pro/Pro Max was excellent and didn’t have any of these issues…I wish I had kept it now…**

[Edited by Moderator]

Jan 7, 2023 2:57 PM in response to Bca2022

I’m having the same issues with the 14Pro camera. I was told I could return the iPhone 14Pro or wait for Apple to optimize the camera software as the current solution. The problem I am told byApple support is that the software processing is optimized for 12MP sensor and not the new 48MP sensor… yet..That’s why the iPhone 11-13 camera takes better photos when using it as a quick point and shoot.

For now in the Apple camera app, hold still, frame your shot, touch the screen to set focus and set exposure for a great photo.

The default camera app also over sharpens, evens exposure across the frame, and adds lightening to all areas and especially to faces in the image after 1-2 seconds. That’s why your sunset picture may look great when you take the shot but then is overly processed and the colors are washed out when stored.

If you don’t like the over processed images, you can use a 3rd party camera app until Apple is able to optimize the processing.

Hope this helps.

Jan 7, 2023 3:47 PM in response to JonTygers

It's actually entertaining, there are now videos on the Internet complaining that compared to the 13, the 14 doesn't enhance photos enough.

Apple can't win; people no longer want photos to look like what they see, they want their photos to look like what they think a photo should look like based on what they've seen on IG and elsewhere.

Here's an article discussing it from an Android point of view:

https://www.androidauthority.com/what-is-computational-photography-3218656/

iPhone 14 Pro Stock Camera takes Blurry Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.