Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Latest version of facebook app background battery drain

Anyone else noticed that the latest version of the Facebook app, which came out on 22 Sept, is creating unusually high battery drain on background activity? It’s the same on both my iPad Pro and iPhone 11.

iPhone 11, 15

Posted on Sep 25, 2022 5:42 AM

3 replies

Sep 27, 2022 5:58 AM in response to annethedosser

Hello annethedosser.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. If you're experiencing battery life issues with one specific app, we can recommend some steps you can try to help maximize your battery life. First make sure the app is fully updated: How to manually update apps on your Apple device - Apple Support

1.) Open the App Store.
2.) Tap your profile icon at the top of the screen.
3.) Scroll to see pending updates and release notes. Tap Update next to an app to update only that app, or tap Update All.

You can also apply these settings to help out: Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan

Background Activity. This indicates that the battery was used by the app while it was in the background — that is, while you were using another app.

To improve battery life, you can turn off the feature that allows apps to refresh in the background. Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and select Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi & Cellular Data, or Off to turn off Background App Refresh entirely.

Additionally, you can also try to delete and reinstall this app as well to help refresh things:

-Delete app: Remove apps from iPad - Apple Support

-Redownload app: Redownload apps and games from Apple - Apple Support

We hope these steps help you. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Sep 27, 2022 9:18 AM in response to Vilas_S

Tried all that. Uninstalled and reinstalled and turned off background refresh and app tracking but still background app activity randomly starts up, sometimes when I’m not even near my phone eg in the night, and runs at up to 30 mins per hour. It starts even with the app closed (swiped away) entirely. Only way to stop it is restart the phone. Same on my iPad.

Latest version of facebook app background battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.