Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import iTunes Library into Music not working

I have my old Macbook (2011) hard drive in an external enclosure. The drive works great. I recently restored my iPhone so lost all the music that was on it (which really should be included when you select All Data as the backup, but that's another support request). I don't currently use the Music app on my current computer, because the files take up too much space.

I'd like to be able to re-add the music onto my iPhone, including the specific playlists I had. I figured the easiest way to do this would be to import the old music library into Music and go that way. However, it's not working. I "Choose Library" and select the old .itl file, and then redirect the Media folder to where those files are stored on my external drive. However, none of those songs or playlists (or anything) is showing up - I'm only seeing the songs I've previously bought off of the iTunes Store.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get my old music and data into Music (and onto my phone)? This is very frustrating.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 25, 2022 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2022 5:52 AM

Perhaps you're picking the wrong .itl file? Are you certain it is the one you were using on your old machine and not, perhaps, an empty library from the default location when you were using something else?

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community. In general if you start with the library in a portable shape and then use the option-start-Music method to open and convert the iTunes Library.itl database into the .musiclibrary format you should get all of the content of the old library. That said some people seem to have difficulties in Monterey with Music locking up and not completing the conversion process. See itunes library to music app - Apple Community for a thread where I've discussed workarounds.

tt2

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2022 5:52 AM in response to Dangr

Perhaps you're picking the wrong .itl file? Are you certain it is the one you were using on your old machine and not, perhaps, an empty library from the default location when you were using something else?

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community. In general if you start with the library in a portable shape and then use the option-start-Music method to open and convert the iTunes Library.itl database into the .musiclibrary format you should get all of the content of the old library. That said some people seem to have difficulties in Monterey with Music locking up and not completing the conversion process. See itunes library to music app - Apple Community for a thread where I've discussed workarounds.

tt2

Sep 26, 2022 8:54 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the response! So it's definitely the right file - but I am indeed getting the endless "Loading" that is noted in those other threads. I'll try converting it on my wife's Big Sur computer, but if that doesn't work, might I be able to email it to you like the others did? I'll report back shortly!

Import iTunes Library into Music not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.