Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i update my itunes to 12.12.5?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Sep 25, 2022 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2022 2:00 AM

In that case it appears that you have the Microsoft Store version which, as stated, is updated automatically. Therefore, you should assume that you do have the latest version installed.

As for Apple's suggestion - to update to the latest software, it's the first thing they always tell everyone to do. However, as you have found, if you have the Microsoft Store version of iTunes, their advice is impractical.

Rather than focus on impractical advice, focus instead on the fact that you cannot get your Home Sharing working: have you read the Apple article Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support?

The article does begin by mentioning updating iTunes, which I suggest that you ignore since we've covered that issue. However, if you have portable devices, make sure that they are updated too. Pay particular attention to the rest of that section (titled Before you set up Home Sharing).

Follow the steps mentioned in the remainder of the article.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2022 2:00 AM in response to wishkma

In that case it appears that you have the Microsoft Store version which, as stated, is updated automatically. Therefore, you should assume that you do have the latest version installed.

As for Apple's suggestion - to update to the latest software, it's the first thing they always tell everyone to do. However, as you have found, if you have the Microsoft Store version of iTunes, their advice is impractical.

Rather than focus on impractical advice, focus instead on the fact that you cannot get your Home Sharing working: have you read the Apple article Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support?

The article does begin by mentioning updating iTunes, which I suggest that you ignore since we've covered that issue. However, if you have portable devices, make sure that they are updated too. Pay particular attention to the rest of that section (titled Before you set up Home Sharing).

Follow the steps mentioned in the remainder of the article.

Oct 22, 2022 2:36 PM in response to the fiend

I've been crazy busy lately and I finally got back to working this issue today, using the fiend's article shown in blue font above.

The laptop I was having the home sharing issue with is a new laptop and I recall that I had an issue with iTunes a few weeks ago where I needed to change my Apple password on that laptop.

The referenced article states the following.

Make sure that all of your devices are signed in with the same Apple ID and authorized to play purchases using that Apple ID.

I realized that it was likely that I had logged into my old laptop with my old password a while ago and just stayed logged in. I logged out of iTunes on my old laptop, logged back in using my new password and baaaaaayem, problem solved!

Thanks for helping the fiend!

Sep 26, 2022 1:10 AM in response to wishkma

Since it looks as though you have visited the Apple help page about updating iTunes, what is the problem that brings you here?

• If you click on iTunes' top bar menu Help / Check for Updates, you will see if there is an update for your iTunes and you will be able to download it from there. If you check the Help / About iTunes menu option, it will tell you which version you currently have
  • If the option to Check for Updates is not shown in the Help menu, that suggests that you have installed the version of iTunes from the Microsoft Store. This version updates automatically, you do not need to do it yourself
  • If you are using Windows 7 (or Windows 8), then you cannot install iTunes 12.12.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.