Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

logicboard or battery

Hi! I have a 2017 Macbook Pro (2 Thunderbolt 3 ports, pre-T9 chip). It no longer holds a charge but has been working as long as it's plugged in, but every once in a while the battery will drain while plugged in doing little, and the charging icon will say it's charging even when I briefly unplug it. Typically when this happens, I shut down, reset the PRAM, let it charge awhile & it's fine. So recently this happened, but even resetting etc I couldn't get it to hold a charge and it drained to 1% and wouldn't turn on. I took it into the Genius Bar thinking I could have the battery replaced, but when the tech couldn't get any reaction from it, she said the logicboard was dead & questioned if it was worth investing that much in a laptop that old. I took it home and left it plugged in for 48 hours just to see, and it's back to 100% and responding to unplug normally.

So my question is: since it did eventually charge up, is it indeed the logicboard as she said, or could it be the battery? Anyone have an idea of what/if repairs are looking like?

To preempt some other questions- I do have a 2022 MBP I also use, this one is worth keeping around as a work computer bc it has some old software I use for work that I'm happy to not have to update if I don't have to & it's handy to leave at my studio... ie, it's definitely worth a $200 battery replacement to keep it running, but maybe not the $500 she quoted for a logicboard. Taking it back in to the Apple Store is basically a whole day endeavor for me so thought I'd get some insight here before shlepping back.

Thanks for any thoughts!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 25, 2022 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2022 5:42 PM

It is really hard to say as these USB-C Macs are very quirky. The Battery is the weakest link here. The important information would be whether the Apple tech disconnected the battery and tried to power on the laptop using just the charger. It is not 100% definitive, but if it powers on, then the battery is most likely bad and the cause of the problem. A bad battery can prevent a Mac from powering on or even charging. Now, disconnecting the battery may or may not allow the laptop to boot as this seems to vary from machine to machine (may boot extremely slow) -- again the quirky nature of these USB-C Apple laptops, but the important part is if the laptop powers on at all.

Of course the 2016 & 2017 MBPros have a known design flaw with the Display Assembly which can sometimes cause the backlight to fail which will make the laptop appear like it is not powered on since there are no indicator lights on these Macs. The problem may be intermittent. You can try pressing the Caps Lock key to see if its LED lights up which indicates the laptop is powered on.

Unfortunately I have seen USB-C Apple laptops suddenly not power on at all (seems completely dead) after performing an SMC Reset followed immediately by an PRAM Reset. In this case, I have sometimes found disconnecting the charger and reconnecting the charger will trigger the laptop to power on, other times I waited five minutes and the laptop powered on automatically by itself (battery had a good charge). Yet the user never mentioned any power on issues and everything else checks out fine. Like I said, these laptops are very quirky.

It is also possible the contacts on the USB-C ports are oxidized or even damaged from a bit of liquid. I find a lot of our organization's Apple USB-C laptops with liquid damaged ports as all it takes is a single drop of liquid. Unfortunately you cannot always see corrosion on the contacts (requires actually removing the Logic Board to get a good view of the contacts). The 2016-2017 models also have very badly designed USB-C ports where they become loose where the cables won't fit tight anymore (design flaw which Apple rectified with the 2018+ models). With the non-touchbar model, the USB-C ports are integrated into the Logic Board (yet another poor design decision).

A battery replacement is about the only repair I will even consider for the 2016-2017 non-touchbar model since this model has so many known issues (bad Keyboard, bad Display, bad SSD, loose USB-C ports integrated into the Logic Board). I will only recommend this after I carefully examine the laptop and verify the USB-C ports are still in good enough shape to keep the USB-C cables in place.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2022 5:42 PM in response to lmg225

It is really hard to say as these USB-C Macs are very quirky. The Battery is the weakest link here. The important information would be whether the Apple tech disconnected the battery and tried to power on the laptop using just the charger. It is not 100% definitive, but if it powers on, then the battery is most likely bad and the cause of the problem. A bad battery can prevent a Mac from powering on or even charging. Now, disconnecting the battery may or may not allow the laptop to boot as this seems to vary from machine to machine (may boot extremely slow) -- again the quirky nature of these USB-C Apple laptops, but the important part is if the laptop powers on at all.

Of course the 2016 & 2017 MBPros have a known design flaw with the Display Assembly which can sometimes cause the backlight to fail which will make the laptop appear like it is not powered on since there are no indicator lights on these Macs. The problem may be intermittent. You can try pressing the Caps Lock key to see if its LED lights up which indicates the laptop is powered on.

Unfortunately I have seen USB-C Apple laptops suddenly not power on at all (seems completely dead) after performing an SMC Reset followed immediately by an PRAM Reset. In this case, I have sometimes found disconnecting the charger and reconnecting the charger will trigger the laptop to power on, other times I waited five minutes and the laptop powered on automatically by itself (battery had a good charge). Yet the user never mentioned any power on issues and everything else checks out fine. Like I said, these laptops are very quirky.

It is also possible the contacts on the USB-C ports are oxidized or even damaged from a bit of liquid. I find a lot of our organization's Apple USB-C laptops with liquid damaged ports as all it takes is a single drop of liquid. Unfortunately you cannot always see corrosion on the contacts (requires actually removing the Logic Board to get a good view of the contacts). The 2016-2017 models also have very badly designed USB-C ports where they become loose where the cables won't fit tight anymore (design flaw which Apple rectified with the 2018+ models). With the non-touchbar model, the USB-C ports are integrated into the Logic Board (yet another poor design decision).

A battery replacement is about the only repair I will even consider for the 2016-2017 non-touchbar model since this model has so many known issues (bad Keyboard, bad Display, bad SSD, loose USB-C ports integrated into the Logic Board). I will only recommend this after I carefully examine the laptop and verify the USB-C ports are still in good enough shape to keep the USB-C cables in place.

Sep 25, 2022 6:37 PM in response to lmg225

If the Genius Bar got no signs of life whatsoever from your Mac I can't really fault them for concluding it was simply dead.

Since you resurrected it, their diagnosis appears to have been premature. They didn't spend much time with you, and a more thorough diagnosis might have revealed another cause.

Did you try a SMC Reset? Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Try a different power adapter or cable if you haven't already. Refer to Identify your Mac power adapter - Apple Support. Notably, an archived version of that same document contained a passage that was helpful in identifying potentially faulty USB-C cables, under the heading Make sure you're using the correct USB-C charge cable. See if it's applicable.

Sep 25, 2022 6:59 PM in response to John Galt

Oh! To be clear, I don't think it's any fault of the Genius Bar tech to come to that conclusion, and I should have tried leaving it to charge longer before bringing it in - I just assumed it was a battery issue to be honest. I have tried the SMC reset before which never seemed to help, but the PRAM reset always did until that last time, but now it's back to normal. I have tried multiple cables, no changes there.

Sep 28, 2022 8:28 AM in response to HWTech

Thank you for this very thorough response! The Genius Bar tech did not disconnect the battery, only tried powering on with the preferred port, and when the trackbar was unresponsive she said the logicboard was the most likely issue. I haven't tried resetting the SMC in quite awhile, so I'll try the SMC-PRAM combo but I'm going to do a more thorough backup first... will post results here. I do feel I can rule out the Display issue, in cases when it doesn't want to power on, usually a low battery icon pops up on the screen, and then a few hours later (plugged in) the laptop will power on.

I guess the overall sense is that unless I have the battery replaced without being sure that's the issue, it's not something I can resolve without investing in further diagnostics & sending out to Apple. This is all useful to know - I can keep using as-is since it's back to working as it has for the past year, just with frequent backups and I'll be prepared for it to stop working for real at any point. Thanks very much!

Sep 28, 2022 10:03 AM in response to lmg225

A completely discharged battery or a battery with issues can prevent an Apple laptop from powering on at all or even charging. Many times I must disconnect the battery to power on an Apple laptop, after which I will hot plug the battery which usually allows the battery to charge if the battery had been completely discharged. I cannot believe a tech would not try disconnecting the battery. I almost always remove the Bottom Case just to check for possible swelling of the battery and possible liquid damage since I know that Apple has a secret free repair program for swollen batteries (must be less than three years old -- we've had several swollen laptop batteries replaced for free on two year old laptops -- may vary by region and tech's knowledge of the program).

The non-USB-C Apple laptops were easier to diagnose here compared to the USB-C models where other quirky behavior makes it much harder to be sure of a diagnosis, although I have developed ways of detecting battery issues while monitoring the battery capacity while quickly discharging & charging the battery which can reveal issues (Intel only at this time since Apple has changed things with the Apple Silicon Macs).

Make sure not to leave the battery at low charge levels without connecting the charger. Apple laptops tend to have problems when the battery is at 0%, or even at 10% or less when the battery is wearing out/failing. Besides, leaving the battery at 0% charge for too long can cause permanent damage. Another quirk of these Apple USB-C laptops is they will show the battery symbol even when the battery has sufficient charge to run the laptop, but for some reason the laptop wants/needs to have the charger connected before it will power on the laptop. Crazy and annoying behavior.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which includes important & unique data.

Good luck.

Sep 29, 2022 7:27 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks for this - your advice on the battery completely tracks with how it's been working, it's actually been like this for well over a year now that I'm thinking about it. In retrospect, I should have asked the tech to try disconnecting the battery but her logic seemed to make sense at the time. Maybe I'll bring it back fully charged and see if they'll change out the battery then, but I suppose it could just be a waste of $200 if that's not the actual issue. Something to think about.... but thanks much, I appreciate your help!

logicboard or battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.