Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari 16.0 web rendering problems (macOS 12.6)

With one of the latest updates, Safari is no longer able to render full-screen type graphics correctly. For example, https://maps.google.com/, Wundermap (https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap?lat=39.933&lon=-105.058&zoom=8&radar=1&wxstn=0) and basically anything that fills a browser window with dynamic content. The vertical content is squeezed into something about 10% the height of the original window.

Any thoughts on how to clear this up? I've purged Safari cache, rebooted, and nothing.

Chrome and Firefox both render these URLs perfectly.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 26, 2022 6:51 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

Sep 27, 2022 6:46 PM in response to steve626

I've tried turning off 1Password and the ABP / ABP Control Panel extension, but still see the problem. They are the only plugin/extensions I have installed. Still poking at this. It seems to be something about sites that use a base-map of some kind with data over the top. Here's an interesting one from https://napsg.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html. I'll keep trying to figure this out. I'm also going to build a Parallels machine from my baseOS recovery disk and see if that Safari does the same thing...

Sep 26, 2022 7:19 PM in response to parkerpress

I have two MacBook Pros with 12.6 (and Safari 16.0) and both show these sites properly (there was something odd with your google maps link ... page not found ... but when I manually entered it, it showed up properly).

Since you have already determined that other browsers work for you, that seems to point to your Safari set up. Do you have any plugins, additions etc. to the vanilla version of Safari from Apple? Any other "enhancements," things like "Cleanup" programs, anti-virus, or third party security tools which might interfere with retrieval of online info?

Sep 27, 2022 8:39 PM in response to parkerpress

I don't think 1Password is the issue, that is used by scores of people.

However Adblock (ABP) might be interacting here as it blocks content from Safari. I would try completing uninstalling Adblock as well as its Control Panel. Turning them off is not the same, it remains installed and that can impact things.

If removing Adblock or ABP don't solve this, I would download Etrecheck, which is an open source utility that extracts info about software that has been installed and looks for conflicts or adware. It basically provides the info in About This Mac but formats the output so that it is much easier to read and find culprits for things like this. Paste the output here using the Additional text button below.

By the way, I clicked on all your links and get nicely rendered maps!

An aside: do you have any anti-virus or security software, "cleaner" utilities, things like that installed? In any case, Etrecheck will show them if you do.

Sep 28, 2022 9:08 PM in response to parkerpress

parkerpress wrote:

I don't have anti-virus or cleaners, but I do run LittleSnitch.

I upgraded my old EtreCheck to EtreCheck Pro, and paid for the performance bundle with it. How would I provide the data (I can't seem to attach the report).

When Etrecheck finishes, select the Share Report option shown on the Report screen (upper left). Click Additional text button below here to paste in the report.

safari 16.0 web rendering problems (macOS 12.6)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.