Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari taking a long time to open large web pages

safari v. 16.1 on a Mac Mini (Late 2014 version) s taking a very long time to open anything but a small web page. I have cleaned all caches that I can find, I have cleared history completely, I have cleared caches under DEVELOP, I keep most tabs closed while I am searching. Firefox works seamlessly while opening large web pages. Any ideas?

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 9, 2022 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2022 11:48 AM

Hey Obiedo32,

Is this issue specific to only Safari? If you have another browser installed and they also load slowly, its likely an issue with your internet connection and we'd recommend investigating your connection strength and speed with your provider.

If it is only Safari, try isolating further in safe mode using the steps below:

If the issue is resolved in safe mode, restart your Mac to exit safe mode and then test it again. Should the problem return after exiting safe mode, double check if there are any extensions active in Safari and disable them one by one if needed, testing after turning off each extension.

"Uninstall or turn off extensions

Choose Safari > Settings (or Preferences), then click Extensions.

• To turn off an extension, deselect its checkbox.
  • To uninstall an extension, select the extension and click the Uninstall button. If you can't determine what an extension does, or you don't expect to use it again, you should uninstall it."

Let us know if the issue persists from there.

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2022 11:48 AM in response to Obiedo32

Hey Obiedo32,

Is this issue specific to only Safari? If you have another browser installed and they also load slowly, its likely an issue with your internet connection and we'd recommend investigating your connection strength and speed with your provider.

If it is only Safari, try isolating further in safe mode using the steps below:

If the issue is resolved in safe mode, restart your Mac to exit safe mode and then test it again. Should the problem return after exiting safe mode, double check if there are any extensions active in Safari and disable them one by one if needed, testing after turning off each extension.

"Uninstall or turn off extensions

Choose Safari > Settings (or Preferences), then click Extensions.

• To turn off an extension, deselect its checkbox.
  • To uninstall an extension, select the extension and click the Uninstall button. If you can't determine what an extension does, or you don't expect to use it again, you should uninstall it."

Let us know if the issue persists from there.

Cheers!

Nov 12, 2022 8:17 AM in response to DerekM87

Hi DerekM87,

Thanks so much for the tips.

Safari is the only browser with which I have difficulty. Firefox and Chrome work seamlessly.

The only one of your tips that solved the mystery is the last one. In Safari, I have several extensions for the Photo Editing program Affinity. When I turned off these extensions, Safari returned to working normally.

What puzzles me is that I have been using the Affinity software for close to a year now, but it is only in the last month or so that I have been having my Safari problem. Perhaps Affinity did an update that contained something new, I don't know.

In any case, since I use Affinity a lot, I will have to abandon Safari, which I very much regret.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Safari taking a long time to open large web pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.