Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari freaking out

Safari quit responding to any influence from my mouse pointer, mouse pointer is freezing up and jerky. Activity monitor shows safari as using 0% cpu, yet it does not say “not responding”. The links all light up when pointer hovers over them, but clicking does nothing. What’s going on here? Nothing on activity monitor seems to be dragging the system down, and I have 3.45 g available out of 8 gigs of ram.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 11:02 PM

Try the simple things first. Quit Safari and launch it again. Restart your Mac. Restart in Safe Mode. Try each one before deciding perhaps reinstalling macOS is justified.

Quit apps on Mac - Apple Support

How to force an app to quit on your Mac - Apple Support

Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Reinstall macOS - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2022 11:02 PM in response to a_r_kitekt

Try the simple things first. Quit Safari and launch it again. Restart your Mac. Restart in Safe Mode. Try each one before deciding perhaps reinstalling macOS is justified.

Quit apps on Mac - Apple Support

How to force an app to quit on your Mac - Apple Support

Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Sep 28, 2022 5:30 AM in response to a_r_kitekt

This only affects Safari? I agree it doesn't make sense, but you're probably tired of hearing that by now.

Before reinstalling macOS, consider running EtreCheck. A download link and description of how to post its report in a reply can be found on Old Toad's excellent User Tip, here: How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report - Apple Communities.

EtreCheck itself doesn't fix anything but it will preclude the time-consuming need to ask for additional details about your system.

Be sure to select "Allow Full Drive Access" before running it. That gives it your permission to examine parts of the system that are normally off-limits.

Sep 28, 2022 2:58 AM in response to John Galt

Thank you John, I have tried all of those short of factory resetting the mac altogether. It has been running abysmally slow pretty much since I got it, and I’ve done all the troubleshooting things I could find on that end too. Apple support, bled their hearts they try, but most of them are just kids referencing a database, and very few have given me new avenues to try, but they have done their best. Idk what to do about this. A $2000 machine that doesn’t work 4 years after manufacture? I had an OG iMac - the first one - until last year and that was because I donated it to my sisters missionary group 😂 far as I know that thing still operated at full capacity - or so close you’d never know it was all original. I guess I’ll try the reset, but that really contributed to the slowness last time. It’s still not right inside from that.

Safari freaking out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.