Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit automations stopped working after iOS 16 upgrade

Has anyone else encountered this? When I test them, they do work, but not at the time they should run (they never run). Location based automation also stopped triggering.

Any ideas?

iPhone 13 Mini

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 4:49 AM

6 replies

Sep 29, 2022 4:50 PM in response to Fuchsteufelswild

Hello Fuchsteufelswild,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Let's create a new automation and test to see if it works:

"Automate accessories at a certain time

Create an automation that runs at a specific time, on certain days, and based on who’s home. 

1. In the Home app, tap or click the Add button , then select Add Automation .
  2. Choose A Time of Day Occurs, then choose a time and day. Tap or click People to have the automation occur at a certain time when someone is home. Tap or click Next. 
  3. Select scenes and accessories to automate, then tap or click Next.
  4. To adjust an accessory on iPhone or iPad, touch and hold it. On Mac, click the accessory. To preview the automation, tap or click Test This Automation.
  5. Tap or click Done."

More details can be found here: Create scenes and automations with the Home app

If the issue persists, can you provide a few more details? What is your exact iOS version? Also, do your accessories run if you ask Siri to turn them on or off?

Cheers!

Oct 3, 2022 2:39 PM in response to Fuchsteufelswild

I have the same problem. It works when testing, but doesn’t trigger at the actual time it’s supposed to. I already deleted it and made a new automation and it still has the same issues. This is a time based automation to turn on and off outdoor lights on a Meross smart outdoor plug. Seems to happened anbout the time that we switched to iPhone 14 with iOS 16. Apple please help!

Nov 21, 2022 8:41 PM in response to Fuchsteufelswild

I am a similar issue. Have a number of automations running just fine on HomeKit (Apple TV HD as the Hub), but this weekend, I tried to add a new automation and noticed that it won't work. It seems like while all my existing automations are working, no new automations would trigger. I can set it up, it works when I test it in the automation UX , but it never actually triggers in real use. I tried some really simple ones like when this light turns on, turn that light on too, and it still doesn't work. Note that I can see and control all my accessories, old automation work, but new ones don't. I am hesitant to make changes to my old ones in case they break too, I spent too much time setting them up.

My Apple TV is on TVOS 16.1 (must have recently auto updated), my phone was on 15 something, and I just updated it to 16.1.1 but the problem is still the same.

Any one have the same issue (old automations work, but new ones doesn't) or a solution?

Nov 26, 2022 10:26 AM in response to Fuchsteufelswild

My workaround that I seem to be having luck with is to only use simplified Automations as triggers for Scenes. (I suspect elaborate Automations get confused and won’t always work in iOS 16.)

First I deleted my ineffective Automation. Then, I use Scenes to create the end result I want. I finally create an Automation whose only purpose is to trigger the Scene I want.

Example: At home with security disarmed, when someone uses my home’s doors I like to hear a car-alarm single chirp when it opens, and a double-chirp when it closes. So I created two ‘Scenes’ (“Door Open” and “Door Close”): I have HomePod play the relevant ‘song’ from a sound-effect album in my Music library. Then I created an Automation so when my Aqara door sensor detects an open door, it triggers the Scene to play the correct chirp ‘Scene’ on HomePod. (It’s actually also simpler than setting up separate lengthy Automations for every door—the Scenes playing the chirp can be used for multiple Automations, one Automation trigger for each door.)

Fred

HomeKit automations stopped working after iOS 16 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.