Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Told my printer is offline when it's not. MacBook Pro

After using my printer forever, my Mac keeps telling me that my printer is offline. It isn't. It works perfectly well for everything other than anything that requires it to be connected to my Mac and is situated 1 meter away.

I have tried everything suggested on this forum. I manage to reset the printer system (after difficulty) and it will work - once. I then get the message that it is offline again, when it clearly isn't.

I have closed down both the computer and the printer each time but I am spending longer trying to sort this problem than actually doing work that I am paid for. I am losing the will to live. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 7:34 AM

Hi,

It is important for us to know the exact (HP) printer model. Please post back with this information.

If it is an AirPrint-enabled printer model connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router) as the Mac computer, and all settings are OK, you could try the following full procedure (in this order):

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the Mac, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the Mac. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2022 7:34 AM in response to 2dogssarah

Hi,

It is important for us to know the exact (HP) printer model. Please post back with this information.

If it is an AirPrint-enabled printer model connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router) as the Mac computer, and all settings are OK, you could try the following full procedure (in this order):

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the Mac, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the Mac. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Sep 28, 2022 7:13 AM in response to mdhurst

Yes, I have reset the printer several times over the last two days. For example, this afternoon I needed to scan some documents. It told me the printer was offline ( it actually went offline when I pressed "scan"). So I deleted it and re-installed it. It worked. I wrote an email using the scanned document and then went to scan something else. It told me the printer was "offline"! I had used it only a few minutes earlier.

I really don't understand how it could be the printer (HP) as it has always worked. It still works and the wi-fi connection seems good... my Mac just doesn't seem to be able to hold a connection.

Sep 28, 2022 7:03 AM in response to 2dogssarah

When I have had printer issues, I have deleted it from my Mac in the Printers & Scanners tab under the Apple Menu - System Preferences. I reinstalled it, and it worked again.

Power Cycle the Printer off and on again. Unplug it from the wall. Sounds like you've done this?

Not sure about the make and model of the printer, but it might be worth giving the manufacturer a call or visiting their website.

Told my printer is offline when it's not. MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.