Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to check if my new 2nd gen AirPods are legit?

Just replaced my old 2nd gen AirPods (model A2031) with a new pair of the same model bought from Amazon and was surprised by the difference between the two set (produced 04/2020 and 07/2022).

The main differences are:

• The plastic material - the old pair had a more matte finish and not at all slippery
  • The lid of the new pair is poorly put in place and wiggles with a clicking sound that the old pair did not have even after two years of daily use
  • The spring in the lid is so weak it doesn't make the zippo-like sound when closed
  • The labels on the box are smeared and blurry print and the embossed airpods on the top are not same quality as the old boxes
  • Article number on the old pair is MV7N22M/A but new MV7N2DN/A but model numbers are the same

They show up alright in the iPhone so I guess the firmware is Apple-blessed at least but the hardware feels like a cheap Samsung device.

Are they legit?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 12:14 PM

11 replies

Sep 28, 2022 12:21 PM in response to Mattias Sandstrom

Mattias Sandstrom wrote:

• Just replaced my old 2nd gen AirPods (model A2031) with a new pair of the same model bought from Amazon and was surprised by the difference between the two set (produced 04/2020 and 07/2022).

The main differences are:
The plastic material - the old pair had a more matte finish and not at all slippery
• The lid of the new pair is poorly put in place and wiggles with a clicking sound that the old pair did not have
• The spring in the lid is so weak it doesn't make the zippo-like sound when closed
• The labels on the box are smeared and blurry print and the embossed airpods on the top are not same quality as the old boxes
• Article number on the old pair is MV7N22M/A but new MV7N2DN/A but model numbers are the same

They show up alright in the iPhone so I guess the firmware is Apple-blessed at least but the hardware feels like a cheap Samsung device.

Are they legit?

You bought it from Amazon through a 3rd party source who probably isn't an authorized Apple dealer.

How to check if my new 2nd gen AirPods are legit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.