Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I don't understand this answer. I want my transition longer, iMovie says there's not "the clips do not have enough media" and you're recommending to shorten the clips next to the transition??? It doesn't make sense, nor does it work!

In iMovie, I have two video clips and want to put a 4 second transition between them, but I get a message that says the "clips do not have enough media." Support said to trim the media but (1) that doesn't make sense and (2) it doesn't work? Do the clips have to be equal length to the transition, longer, shorter??? I've tried multiple options and can't find a consistent solution.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 3:11 PM

The message means that there is not enough “residual” media. Create more by trimming back a few frames of the video clips on each side of the transition. Residual media is the invisible media left over when you trim back a video clip. It is what the transition overlaps and hooks on to. So, by trimming you are adding more residual media. Trim back as much as necessary.

— Rich

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2022 3:11 PM in response to shalbleib77

The message means that there is not enough “residual” media. Create more by trimming back a few frames of the video clips on each side of the transition. Residual media is the invisible media left over when you trim back a video clip. It is what the transition overlaps and hooks on to. So, by trimming you are adding more residual media. Trim back as much as necessary.

— Rich

Sep 29, 2022 2:09 AM in response to shalbleib77

You will have 2 clips where your transition will go. Cut about a second off the ends where they "touch" and you will have no problems making a transition up to 2 seconds long.

This will have to be done wherever you have a transition.

When professionals edit, they rarely use full clips because usually the beginnings and ends of clips are not the best bits, so all their clips have been trimmed fore and aft before they try to insert transitions.

Regarding professional editors and transitions . . . they almost never use them.

Watch any top professional Hollywood etc. film and you will be very hard pressed to find any transition other than straight cuts.

It's only amateurs who seem to use (or overuse) transitions.

I don't understand this answer. I want my transition longer, iMovie says there's not "the clips do not have enough media" and you're recommending to shorten the clips next to the transition??? It doesn't make sense, nor does it work!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.