Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which iMac is a better buy?

Hello Everyone. Are there any Apple Mac/iMac fans here that would advise me before I purchase a refurbished iMac (I can't afford a new one) from Amazon? I would like ti stay at about $1200, and $1400 would be max. I am looking at a Apple iMac MF886LLA, 27 Inches, Intel Core i7-4790K X4 4GHz 32GB, 3TB, 128GB SSD (Renewed), or a Apple iMac 27-Inch Desktop, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor, 16 GB memory, 1TB HDD (Renewed). I know the first is better, but is it worth the extra $350? I would rather stretch my budget that have regrets. Anyone?

iMac

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 2:36 PM

Hello,

A +1 to rkaufmann87. I would suggest you purchase either a new iMac from Apple, or explore the Apple Refurbished Store: Certified Refurbished Products - Apple.

I've found the models you've references on Amazon, and I can say I wouldn't buy either. Not only do I not trust any other seller than Apple or an Authorized Reseller, as mentioned above, but these specific used Macs seem to be overpriced. Neither one can even run the latest version of macOS, macOS Monterey.

Additionally, I would not recommend you purchase an iMac with a hard disk or Fusion Drive, nor an Intel Processor. Stick to an Apple Silicon M1 iMac model. It will be far superior in performance compared to any Intel model. I have a MacBook Air (M2, 2022) with 8 GB of Memory and a 256 GB SSD. Even with 8 GB, performance and multitasking feels superior to an Intel Mac with 16 GB of Memory.

What will be using this iMac for? Perhaps we can further advise you based on your needs.

I hope this helps.

Jack

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2022 2:36 PM in response to LadyIdaho

Hello,

A +1 to rkaufmann87. I would suggest you purchase either a new iMac from Apple, or explore the Apple Refurbished Store: Certified Refurbished Products - Apple.

I've found the models you've references on Amazon, and I can say I wouldn't buy either. Not only do I not trust any other seller than Apple or an Authorized Reseller, as mentioned above, but these specific used Macs seem to be overpriced. Neither one can even run the latest version of macOS, macOS Monterey.

Additionally, I would not recommend you purchase an iMac with a hard disk or Fusion Drive, nor an Intel Processor. Stick to an Apple Silicon M1 iMac model. It will be far superior in performance compared to any Intel model. I have a MacBook Air (M2, 2022) with 8 GB of Memory and a 256 GB SSD. Even with 8 GB, performance and multitasking feels superior to an Intel Mac with 16 GB of Memory.

What will be using this iMac for? Perhaps we can further advise you based on your needs.

I hope this helps.

Jack

Sep 28, 2022 4:45 PM in response to LadyIdaho

Hi, again!

The Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.8GHz 8-core Intel Core i7 with Retina 5K display - Apple would be a great buy! It's the most recent (and last) 27-inch iMac made. However, this ships with 8 GB of Memory from Apple, and for your use of the Mac, I'd recommend a 16 GB Memory Upgrade, which is the one user-supported upgrade:

Apple iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) iMac20,1 RAM Upgrades - Crucial.

However, going to M1 one more time, Apple has this specific configuration you may like:

• Apple M1 chip with 8-core CPU with 4 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores, 7-core GPU, and 16-core Neural Engine
  • 16GB unified memory
  • 512GB SSD storage
  • Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports
  • Magic Mouse
  • Magic Keyboard - US English
  • Accessory Kit

24-inch Silver iMac with 4.5K Retina display - Apple

It has the same storage as the 27-inch model, more Memory, and the M1 for $40 more. But, the Retina 5K 27-inch display is gorgeous!

Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy!

Jack

Sep 28, 2022 1:37 PM in response to LadyIdaho

NEVER EVER buy a refurbished iMac from Amazon, Ebay, Craigslist, Marketplace etc. These machine are frequently not what you expect and are not actually refurbished or they were not prepared correctly. In others words, caveat emptor, meaning let the buyer beware!

If you cannot afford a new Mac (have you considered Apple's 12 month same as cash program) then buy an Apple refurbished Mac directly from Apple or buy from a reputable reseller such as macsales.com.

Sep 28, 2022 4:25 PM in response to Jack-19

Thank you Jack! I agree with both you and rkaufman87. I'm grateful for your advise and as per your suggestions have decided to buy directly from Apple. I am looking at the .... Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.8GHz 8-core Intel Core i7 with Retina 5K display

$1,659.00

Was

$2,299.00Save $640.00

Due to research I am leaning towards the 27 inch iMac i7 is because it is upgradable and I am really stretched to fork out $1600 let alone more and I like to pay cash in full. Plus this particular iMac was the best price that was available with the Retina 5K display, the 3.8GHz, and an i7. I understand that the M1 is probably much better, alto not upgradeable, it probably wouldn't need any upgrades for quite awhile. Maybe the one I'm looking at won't either as it seems like it would be more than enough for my needs, which are ... multi-tasking with too many tabs open, designing websites, building chat bots, designing logos, creating animated videos, etc. Stuff like that.

Maybe, since Apple does take trade in's, down the road when I can afford more, use the above one as a trade in and upgrade to the M1 later after I start making better money doing these services?

Does this make any sense? Am off target? Please feel free to set me straight.

Which iMac is a better buy?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.