What to buy next

I currently have an iMac (details below) which I'm super happy with but is showing signs of getting tired and may need to be updated very soon. What do recommend I get to replace it, I mostly use it for Adobe Suite and graphic design. - No Video or motion graphics.

iMac

Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017

Processor 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel

Core i5

Graphics Radeon Pro 575 4 GB

Memory 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Many thanks

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.5

Posted on Nov 16, 2023 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2023 2:40 PM

I see that you have a lot of RAM now.

RAM is not expandable on any Apple Silicon Mac. Your choices of factory-installed RAM sizes will vary according to the processor you pick.

For instance,

• The 'base' M2 and M3 chips can be ordered with 8, 16, or 24 GB of RAM
  • The M2 Pro chip can be ordered with 16 or 32 GB of RAM
  • The M2 Max chip can be ordered with 32, 64, or 96 GB of RAM (96 GB on the 38-GPU-core version)

If you got a maxed-out 24" M3 iMac, you'd be moving from a system with 64 GB of RAM to one with 24 GB of RAM.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2023 2:40 PM in response to punkandchicken

I see that you have a lot of RAM now.

RAM is not expandable on any Apple Silicon Mac. Your choices of factory-installed RAM sizes will vary according to the processor you pick.

For instance,

• The 'base' M2 and M3 chips can be ordered with 8, 16, or 24 GB of RAM
  • The M2 Pro chip can be ordered with 16 or 32 GB of RAM
  • The M2 Max chip can be ordered with 32, 64, or 96 GB of RAM (96 GB on the 38-GPU-core version)

If you got a maxed-out 24" M3 iMac, you'd be moving from a system with 64 GB of RAM to one with 24 GB of RAM.

Nov 16, 2023 9:36 AM in response to punkandchicken

I totally concur with rkaufmann87 ... however, you didn't mention any cost constraints, so the Mac Studio (although they come in a variety of price points), they may be over your price ceiling (as you would also need a monitor).

Should that be the case, and since you like your iMac, you may want to consider a newer iMac. The very latest model, now includes the M3 chip.

What to buy next

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.