Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fileproviderd is using over 100% CPU.

How can this be corrected/prevented?

iMac

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 10:50 AM

Hello CinnyWoo,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. In order to isolate this issue further, let's test in safe mode, and in another user account:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Also, check this out:

Activity Monitor User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

View CPU activity in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2022 10:50 AM in response to CinnyWoo

Hello CinnyWoo,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. In order to isolate this issue further, let's test in safe mode, and in another user account:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Also, check this out:

Activity Monitor User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

View CPU activity in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Oct 8, 2022 11:15 AM in response to CinnyWoo

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Oct 7, 2022 4:44 AM in response to CinnyWoo

I completely removed One Drive and it did not solve the problem.

I deactivated Google Drive start at launch (in the Users & Groups control panel), restarted MacOS, bingo problem disappeared ! Launching Google Drive restarted the problem.

Looks like latest Google Drive update creates a problem with fileproviderd.

I also noted some problems in my Google Drive in MacOS, some of the shared folder (from other people) that previously were appearing like some kind of "aliases" are now broken aliases.

Oct 8, 2022 2:45 PM in response to Louis Van Proosdij

CinnyWood, I forgot to tell you to restart your Mac.

When you had the problem, or if you still have it, did you notice like me that when (re)starting the Mac and opening your session, the Control Panel was automatically opening to the "Extension->Finder extensions" panel ? Looks like it was Google Drive action, as when I tested deactivating Google Drive at launch this Control Panel was not displayed.

Oct 8, 2022 3:16 PM in response to CinnyWoo

Try turning off DropBox. You have 4 separate file sync apps running. Double-check that you don't have any folder that is managed by more than one of those.

You are also showing heavy usage by rtcreportingd, which is the error logging system. And you have very high nominal I/O usage, so there is definitely something running out of control with the SSD.

Fileproviderd is using over 100% CPU.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.