Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I do a search, the results come back for an area in Wisconsin, not for Lincoln, Maine. How do I change that?

Making my search results relevant to where I am. They consistently come back for a place in Wisconsin and this makes me wonder if someone else is using my ID.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 1:27 PM

If you are doing this over a VPN connection, then don't. Your VPN provider may be in Wisconsin even though you are in Maine. If not over VPN, sometimes your ISP will assign a different network number than would be normally local to you and that radically changes your geographical reference.

Case in point, several years ago, Comcast changed my external network address to point to their physical facilities in eastern Pennsylvania. I am out in the midwest and my searches were returning information from that eastern location. I actually resorted to using my local university alumni VPN service which is located in the same city as I reside, and then the search issues for local resources worked properly.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2022 1:27 PM in response to Winsap

If you are doing this over a VPN connection, then don't. Your VPN provider may be in Wisconsin even though you are in Maine. If not over VPN, sometimes your ISP will assign a different network number than would be normally local to you and that radically changes your geographical reference.

Case in point, several years ago, Comcast changed my external network address to point to their physical facilities in eastern Pennsylvania. I am out in the midwest and my searches were returning information from that eastern location. I actually resorted to using my local university alumni VPN service which is located in the same city as I reside, and then the search issues for local resources worked properly.

When I do a search, the results come back for an area in Wisconsin, not for Lincoln, Maine. How do I change that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.