Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Default location

When I sign on to various websites they report my location as being in Alabama, but I am in Ohio. I’ve never been in Alabama. Is this the result of some hack? How do I change this?

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 5:06 PM

I’d make an educated guess that you perhaps have a WiFi Only model iPad.

Unlike your iPhone and WiFi & Cellular models of iPad, WiFi Only iPads do not have any GPS location capability with which to directly determine their location - and as such are completely reliant upon their network connection to infer an approximate location.

Without benefit of GPS, your approximate geographic location is inferred from a “database lookup” of (a) your WiFi Network Name (SSID) or detected neighbouring WiFi networks - and (b) the “public” IP Address provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). 

If the mapped WiFi network name or IP Address are not available within the applicable databases, or if this information substantially differs between sources, then your approximate location may not be computed - or may wildly inaccurate. This situation often occurs if you are in a remote/rural location where neighbouring WiFi networks are scarce - or if connecting over satellite or VPN connections.

Network IP Addresses and WiFi networks are frequently mapped in urban and cosmopolitan areas (including “crowd source” techniques) and as such approximation of your location from lookup against these databases can be provide relatively high accuracy. As population and network density diminishes, this mechanism becomes progressively less reliable.

If you can, perhaps try connecting to a different WiFi network - be it private, public or your telephone WiFi hotspot.

I hope this explanation as to possible cause is helpful.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2022 5:06 PM in response to Barry Glasgal

I’d make an educated guess that you perhaps have a WiFi Only model iPad.

Unlike your iPhone and WiFi & Cellular models of iPad, WiFi Only iPads do not have any GPS location capability with which to directly determine their location - and as such are completely reliant upon their network connection to infer an approximate location.

Without benefit of GPS, your approximate geographic location is inferred from a “database lookup” of (a) your WiFi Network Name (SSID) or detected neighbouring WiFi networks - and (b) the “public” IP Address provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). 

If the mapped WiFi network name or IP Address are not available within the applicable databases, or if this information substantially differs between sources, then your approximate location may not be computed - or may wildly inaccurate. This situation often occurs if you are in a remote/rural location where neighbouring WiFi networks are scarce - or if connecting over satellite or VPN connections.

Network IP Addresses and WiFi networks are frequently mapped in urban and cosmopolitan areas (including “crowd source” techniques) and as such approximation of your location from lookup against these databases can be provide relatively high accuracy. As population and network density diminishes, this mechanism becomes progressively less reliable.

If you can, perhaps try connecting to a different WiFi network - be it private, public or your telephone WiFi hotspot.

I hope this explanation as to possible cause is helpful.

Default location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.