Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where has my iTunes library gone since upgrading to Monterey

Why has my iTunes library disappeared since getting Monterey

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 2:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 4:51 PM

Hi,

If you upgraded from Mojave or earlier to Monterey then one would expect the iTunes library to be converted automatically.when you first run Music. Assuming that hasn't happened you can try holding down option as you launch Music, then use the choose library option to open the iTunes Library.itl file of your old library.

I've seen a number of posts lately where Monterey fails to correctly convert an iTunes Library.itl database correctly and just sits there with a spinning busy icon. There seem to be two possible workarounds, copy the .itl file to Big Sur or Catalina and convert it there (the media folder is not required) then move the database to Monterey and place it above the media folder, or if you have an iTunes Library.xml file you can import that into an empty Music library with File > Library > Import Playlist... as long as the media files are at the paths listed in the XML file.

If you don't have the XML file or access to Catalina or Big Sur I could convert the library for you. I've done several over the last week or so. You can send me the .itl, or a link to it on a cloud service such as iCloud Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. I would convert the library to the .musiclibrary format and post it back to you. You'll find my email address in my profile here.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2022 4:51 PM in response to Der253

Hi,

If you upgraded from Mojave or earlier to Monterey then one would expect the iTunes library to be converted automatically.when you first run Music. Assuming that hasn't happened you can try holding down option as you launch Music, then use the choose library option to open the iTunes Library.itl file of your old library.

I've seen a number of posts lately where Monterey fails to correctly convert an iTunes Library.itl database correctly and just sits there with a spinning busy icon. There seem to be two possible workarounds, copy the .itl file to Big Sur or Catalina and convert it there (the media folder is not required) then move the database to Monterey and place it above the media folder, or if you have an iTunes Library.xml file you can import that into an empty Music library with File > Library > Import Playlist... as long as the media files are at the paths listed in the XML file.

If you don't have the XML file or access to Catalina or Big Sur I could convert the library for you. I've done several over the last week or so. You can send me the .itl, or a link to it on a cloud service such as iCloud Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. I would convert the library to the .musiclibrary format and post it back to you. You'll find my email address in my profile here.

tt2

where has my iTunes library gone since upgrading to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.