Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Dictation not working iOS 16

Hello,

I recently upgraded to iOS 16 and since doing so my dictation has stopped working properly. It was working at first but it has stopped.

I have tried disabling/re-enabling dictation and "hey siri" and other related settings, as I read this on the internet. I would disable, perform a restart, and re-enable. This didn't seem to resolve the issue.

I also made sure I had the latest version of iOS 16 - which I do - 16.0.2 (20A380) - Not sure where to go next.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 1:23 AM

Partial solution for non-English: I noticed problems appearing in non-English dictation. Thankfully English hasn’t stopped working but quality is much worse. For other languages that stopped working: First I noticed in apps like Duolingo that speech recognition didn’t work for German but at least before 16.0.3 Spanish still worked and German worked only from the keyboard. After 16.0.3 Spanish and German from the keyboard stopped working and didn’t work in other apps like DeepL. I followed all the steps toggling the settings, resetting network connections etc. I removed all the keyboards except English and tried different locations (Switzerland, Spain, Latin America, US Spanish etc). But only after changing Siri’s language to German did it start dictating German from the mike on the keyboard & DeepL. This technique didn’t work for Spanish. I couldn’t get it to work no matter what. But the English dictation is significantly degraded in quality since 16. I am a native US speaker of English (without a regional accent) and it is much worse now. At least I was able to get German to work again and it stayed that way even though I changed Siri back to English. But apps like Duolingo still don’t recognize speech. But notes and Siri at least recognize English and German but still it’s unfortunate that Spanish is still broken.

127 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2022 1:23 AM in response to Keither37

Partial solution for non-English: I noticed problems appearing in non-English dictation. Thankfully English hasn’t stopped working but quality is much worse. For other languages that stopped working: First I noticed in apps like Duolingo that speech recognition didn’t work for German but at least before 16.0.3 Spanish still worked and German worked only from the keyboard. After 16.0.3 Spanish and German from the keyboard stopped working and didn’t work in other apps like DeepL. I followed all the steps toggling the settings, resetting network connections etc. I removed all the keyboards except English and tried different locations (Switzerland, Spain, Latin America, US Spanish etc). But only after changing Siri’s language to German did it start dictating German from the mike on the keyboard & DeepL. This technique didn’t work for Spanish. I couldn’t get it to work no matter what. But the English dictation is significantly degraded in quality since 16. I am a native US speaker of English (without a regional accent) and it is much worse now. At least I was able to get German to work again and it stayed that way even though I changed Siri back to English. But apps like Duolingo still don’t recognize speech. But notes and Siri at least recognize English and German but still it’s unfortunate that Spanish is still broken.

Oct 2, 2022 6:44 PM in response to Keither37

Dictation doesn't work. In any app. For anything. In any way. I cannot dictate a text. I cannot dictate a search. It's like the phone doesn't hear my voice when I press the microphone button. I can speak on the phone, but I cannot use any other voice-activated features. This started happening a week or so ago, after upgrade.

see the red circle in the photo? That's all I get. Little blue spinning circle.

What other info do you need?

Oct 9, 2022 1:23 PM in response to Keither37

Wanted to add...so I had heard about others switching the languages from English (US) to English (UK) for both the keyboard and Siri. Indeed switching to English (UK) on the keyboard worked but its not a real solution since they use different spellings. That being said (and I know this isn't too technical) but I switched through all the English options, (India, Canada, Australia) and after going through all just for the keyboard...it somehow fixed the English (US) setting for both the keyboard and Siri. Mind you simply going once from English (US) to English (UK) and back to English (US) wasn't enough. Some combination of trying all them "fixed" something somehow as both are now working for me again. Come on Apple, you have to do better than this!

Oct 12, 2022 1:26 AM in response to HallaS222

For 16.0.3 I was able to get German back by deleting German keyboards, turning off all the networks, rebooting and adding them again and changing Siri to German. After testing it it worked. I was even able to reset Siri to English and it still recognizes German but that didn’t work for other languages and some apps like duolingo are still broken—only the keyboard mic works. But it’s something.

Oct 9, 2022 1:05 PM in response to Keither37

I too, have the same problem, dictation has stopped and all I get is the spinning blue circle. Siri also returns a "working on it..." followed by "something went wrong." Iphone13 using iOs 16.0.2 and dictation has stopped working about a week after install. I am on the road constantly and depend on dictation for 90% of my daily tasks. This past week I have even been involved in a car accident because I was forced to manually enter text into my maps gps while on the highway. I have called my cellular provider and have combed the web for troubleshooting and have checked every setting and confirmed they are as they should be, and have even done a reset 3 separate times. Apple is far too large of a conglomerate to allow a software issue like this to remain unresolved. As you can see from my recent situation, it is literally becoming dangerous to users and others around them. Whatever new product, design, feature, launch you're working on Apple- STOP and put ALL of your developers on this fix! You are creating a massive liability for users!

Oct 1, 2022 3:53 PM in response to Keither37

Hey there, Keither37!

Thanks so much for using Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like you've done some really good troubleshooting so far but we want to help you get this issue resolved with Dictation on your iPhone. However, we're not sure exactly what you're experiencing with regard to Dictation's behavior. We understand that it isn't working as you expected, but if you could share some additional details, it may help the community be more effective at troubleshooting this with you.

In the meantime, please find some troubleshooting steps for general Dictation issues below:

If "Hey Siri" isn't working on your iPhone - Apple Support

If the microphones on your iPhone aren't working - Apple Support

We hope that this information is helpful.

​Have a great day!

Oct 21, 2022 11:16 AM in response to Keither37

Im having the exact same issue. Apple tech support on the phone finally helped me to get Siri to work by turning off and then on all the network settings, and also switching to UK keyboard.

Now I can say “hey siri, send a message to..” and I can dictate, but cannot do so any other way. If I try to dictate in an email or text message, all I get is the small microphone pop up (see below)

Oct 9, 2022 1:56 PM in response to MagFlux

I have wasted so much of my day on this. I just did this too, and after farting around for way too long, suddenly the English (US) works again. But now my German keyboard doesn't work (which it did before) and the French (France) still istn't working even after trying all the different French keyboards. Apple, please fix ASAP.

Oct 11, 2022 1:43 AM in response to Keither37

Same problem here.

little troubleshooting:

-after updating Ios16 worked for a couple of days. then suddenly died (voice dictation, but Siri still worked fine).

-at some point it came back to life (no updates occured)

-in the past days (3-4 days ago) it died again.

I read about an issue with languages: my iphone language is English US menawhile dicatation language is Italian (I'm quite sure if I set both English it works, but I need the otherway!!!)

iPhone Dictation not working iOS 16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.