Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prevent automatic Monterey install from Catalina

Hello, I have a MacbookPro mid 2015 15 inch.

I am using Catalina because converting to Big Sur was a problem and I reinstalled Catalina.

Sometimes I get a reminder notification to install Monterey, and I am worried I will one day accidentally click on "install" and will lose everything. There does not seem to be a way to turn off the Monterey notifications. Any advice apart from "keep your wits about you" would be appreciated. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 3:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 5:10 AM

Suggestion is to Purposely Download the Full Version of Monterey from the Apple Apps Store.

Once downloaded - Do Not Allow the Application to Launch. Should it do so, Force Quit ( Command Q ).

That will prevent if for starting the upgrade process.

Leave the new Application called " Install Monterey " residing in the Applications folder ( About 12.xx GB in Size ) there.

Just leaving it alone and it should stop pestering you with the Un-Wanted UpGrade Notification .

That or go into System Preferences >> Software Updates Applet and UnCheck various Options in the below images

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2022 5:10 AM in response to Bob593251

Suggestion is to Purposely Download the Full Version of Monterey from the Apple Apps Store.

Once downloaded - Do Not Allow the Application to Launch. Should it do so, Force Quit ( Command Q ).

That will prevent if for starting the upgrade process.

Leave the new Application called " Install Monterey " residing in the Applications folder ( About 12.xx GB in Size ) there.

Just leaving it alone and it should stop pestering you with the Un-Wanted UpGrade Notification .

That or go into System Preferences >> Software Updates Applet and UnCheck various Options in the below images

Oct 1, 2022 9:43 AM in response to Bob593251

I have three comments to share. First, the excellent suggestion above will work. Second, keep in mind that such downloads are large and a lot of data storage space will be used, so determine if you can give up that space. Third, if you do install Monterey you will not loose anything. When doing an upgrade the operating system file is overwritten and no other data is affected.

Prevent automatic Monterey install from Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.