Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install macOS Big Sur app & Location named "Update" on Finder after reinstalling Catalina + Updating to Big Sur

Hi,

I recently downloaded, installed and updated to Big Sur from Catalina, which I reinstalled from Internet Recovery.

It is going fine, but I have some questions.

• First question:

I see an app called "Install macOS Big Sur" at the Launchpad, but when I search that name on "This Mac" in Finder, I can't see any files. Is it necessary? If it isn't, how can I delete it?

• Second question:

I see a disk named "Update" in Finder, Locations (Which is located in the sidebar) after reinstalling Catalina and updating to Big Sur. It doesn't show up on Disk Utility, even though I select "Show All Devices". Is that disk necessary? If it isn't, how can I delete it?

Thanks

Posted on Jun 30, 2021 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 12:57 AM

UPDATE FOR EVERYONE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM: I tried clicking the icon in Launchpad, and it gave me a question mark. So I dragged the icon to Trash and problem solved.

Special thanks to https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4175379

Similar questions

4 replies

Jul 1, 2021 12:38 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks,

So I understand, "Update" disk isn't limited to me. Everybody has it. But a strange bug happens and I see it in Finder - Locations.

Maybe the installer file is stuck in the Launchpad. I also searched it in "Macintosh HD" but didn't see it. Normally, it should be deleted after the update. Actually, it did become deleted. Maybe they will fix the issue with the next Monterey update.

Install macOS Big Sur app & Location named "Update" on Finder after reinstalling Catalina + Updating to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.