Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility after macOS Big Sur upgrade

After upgrading to Big Sur and looking under Disk Utility my volumes are different.

Catalina disk looked like this...

Macintosh HD

Macintosh HD - Data

After upgrade to Big Sur it looks like this...

Macintosh HD

System Snapshot Mounted

Macintosh HD - Data

So, to be clear. I now have a System Snapshot Mounted underneath the Macintosh HD volume. The system snapshot looks weird, says com.apple.os.update and a bunch of numbers and letters after the word update.

I have talked to some other people I know running Big Sur and some see this same thing and some don't. What gives? Any ideas? I know Apple is using Signed System Volumes (SSV) now. Is this the way it should look under Disk Utility now?

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 2:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 2:42 PM

Does the mounted drive icon have the "System Snapshot Mounted" name or is is still "Macintosh HD"? I have something similar in DU

But the icon on the Desktop say "Toad Hall".

Don't know what it means but it's just some other feature of Big Sur.

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 20, 2020 3:02 PM in response to Old Toad

I didn't notice it before, but you are correct. Momentopname is Dutch for snapshot. My guess would be that the system takes regular snapshots now?

Desktop icon and Finder still mention the system drive as Atlantis. Which is how I named it in the past.

Guess it's not something you need to worry about :)

Edit:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/11/macos-11-0-big-sur-the-ars-technica-review/11/

Found this article which explains what snapshots are used for.

Disk Utility after macOS Big Sur upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.