Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari

Hi. When I click return on an opened site it returns to the top of the site with links, not to the link that I have recently used:( How to change it?

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2022 4:47 PM

Hello Angryclick,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We're unsure of what you're asking, but we'd like to lend a hand to see how we can help. What exactly are you attempting to do on your Mac in its Safari app, and which macOS version do you have?

To get started, please check this out:

Go back to webpages you already visited in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Keyboard shortcuts and gestures in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2022 4:47 PM in response to Angryclick

Hello Angryclick,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We're unsure of what you're asking, but we'd like to lend a hand to see how we can help. What exactly are you attempting to do on your Mac in its Safari app, and which macOS version do you have?

To get started, please check this out:

Go back to webpages you already visited in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Keyboard shortcuts and gestures in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Oct 5, 2022 6:11 AM in response to Angryclick

Angryclick, 

Please correct us if we’ve misunderstood, but here’s what we believe you’re stating. After using the web search functionality in Safari, then navigating to a website if you use the ‘back’ key, instead of taking you back to the last website you were on it instead takes you back to the list of results from your web search. Do we have that right? 

If so, can you confirm that this happens with all websites you navigate to from the web search? Are you then navigating to other sites from that first link off the web search page? We’re trying to pinpoint down how far this happening. 

Additionally, let’s launch a new tab in Safari and test there as well. The following article goes over using tabs in Safari for iOS - Open and close tabs in Safari on iPhone To launch a new tab tap the button that looks like two squares, one shadowed behind the other. 

Thanks. 

Oct 5, 2022 1:47 PM in response to Angryclick

Hello Angryclick,

Good job clarifying what is happening.

The first thing we would suggest would be to power cycle the iPhone by pressing and holding either volume button and the side button until the power-off slider appears. Drag the slider and wait 30 seconds for the device to turn off. While simple, this can refresh the iOS, apps and connections. More information is available here:  Restart your iPhone

If the problem continues, try clearing the history and cookies from Safari using these steps found at Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

• To clear your history and cookies, go to Settings > Safari, and tap Clear History and Website Data. Clearing your history, cookies, and browsing data from Safari won't change your AutoFill information.
iPhone Safari Settings showing Clear history and website data.

• To clear your cookies and keep your history, go to Settings > Safari > Advanced > Website Data, then tap Remove All Website Data.
• To visit sites without leaving a history, turn Private Browsing on.

When there's no history or website data to clear, the setting turns gray. The setting might also be gray if you have web content restrictions set up under Content & Privacy Restrictions in Screen Time.

Have a good day.

Oct 5, 2022 1:37 PM in response to AnnieL2

Thanks for answering. Let me explain one more time. I use the web search functionality - Google in Safari, when the search is finished I choose/click/open one of the searched links. Then, when I use the ‘back’ key, instead of taking me back to the position of the “clicked” link, it takes me back to the top of the page/list of results on my web search - Google. So I have to scroll down one more time to go to the last opened link.

Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.