Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV remote goes back to beginning

When I use my Apple TV remote to fast forward or rewind, the show jumps back to the very beginning. It hasn’t done this before. Does this only occur during certain shows? Or is there a software problem with Apple TV+?

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 7:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 10:16 AM

Not sure what to say. It is working for me.

• Tapping left or right jumps 10 seconds back or forward.
  • Press-and-hold left or right starts continuous rewind or fast-forward.
  • With ‘Scrub the timeline’ I mean going to any other point in the video from the timeline as presented when pausing the video. Ideal for larger time jumps. First pause. Then move the playback position back or forth with swiping left or right. A small preview shows the scene. The new time code is shown. Unpausing will then continue at that point. This is also detailed in the previously linked support document.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2022 10:16 AM in response to WhyBother1

Not sure what to say. It is working for me.

• Tapping left or right jumps 10 seconds back or forward.
  • Press-and-hold left or right starts continuous rewind or fast-forward.
  • With ‘Scrub the timeline’ I mean going to any other point in the video from the timeline as presented when pausing the video. Ideal for larger time jumps. First pause. Then move the playback position back or forth with swiping left or right. A small preview shows the scene. The new time code is shown. Unpausing will then continue at that point. This is also detailed in the previously linked support document.

Oct 3, 2022 8:44 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Yes. The remote is easy to use, so I'm not really sure whether you read the question/comment. It has worked fine for the past couple years. But, when I tried to fast forward or rewind, I could see the scene change and the timeline showed where I had advanced (or rewound), but it also blinked 00:00. When I released, the show went back to the beginning.

What does "scrub the timeline" mean? For those of us who don't speak techie.

Oct 3, 2022 4:06 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you for defining scrubbing. Yes, I tried that. What happens is I do swipe left (or right) and I do see the small preview. But, as I scrub the time code rapidly alternates between the time in the video and 00:00. As soon as I lift my finger off the remote, the show jumps back to the beginning. It doesn't matter where I start scrubbing - at the beginning, 5 minutes in, or 20 minutes in, the show goes back to 00:00. We have three Apple TV HD units, and this only happens on one particular unit.

Has the unit gone bad? Is there some sort of reset or software download I could do? Thanks.

Apple TV remote goes back to beginning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.