Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck/can’t get passed set up language loop

MacBook Air - latest Monterey update installed

I found samdump 2 in var folder which should not be there? Thunderbolt appeared, root console showing in terminal, Netbios/computer name changed also. Unknown devices in wifi and ports.

I panicked and deleted files and lost admin account or permissions possibly. Password no longer accepted at login. ‘Resetpassword’ via terminal in both recovery & single user mode, still not accepted at login screen. My admin name no longer had capital initial or a space. Tried both ways (old username & new layout) still didn’t work.

Advised in terminal to remove .AppleSetupDone file to allow me to create new user with admin permissions. It comes on as hello then to languages screen. Choose English, shows apple logo and bar loads up but then loops back. I have no back-up on Time Machine.

Trying to find someone who has senior knowledge has been extremely difficult or to get a reply on here re what’s happening.

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 2, 2022 6:26 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 2, 2022 7:52 AM in response to Community User

Reinstallation for Recovery Mode will replace missing or Corrupted elements of the Operating System without touching your personal Data, Installed Application, Setting and Preferences.

Personally, would not attempt without a Rescue Plan already in place and functioning.

You may try and Hope this will bring back the Admin Account Functionality but be prepared for the worse.

Do you have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful.

For addition purposes - two Tested Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase the upgrades goes sideways. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

Oct 2, 2022 7:15 AM in response to PRP_53

Hi and thank you very much for the last reply to the other post. I will follow the instructions. It is related as I need to get back into the MacBook to take off my data before erasing as I have no back up. I’ve been advised to reinstall os. Is this something you recommend if I have no back up. I’ve read this can be done without losing data. I know I can restore volumes via disk utility but it removes data since it replaces what was there?

If you don’t recommend a reinstall, is it wiser to try extract data onto a portable external hard drive?

thanks again

thank you very much again for your knowledge on all of this. Much appreciated

Oct 2, 2022 7:38 AM in response to PRP_53

Hi there

I can access the disk utility via recovery and it shows me the option of reinstall os. Unless reinstall os is not possible once clicked? Since I can’t get passed languages setup.

Prior to removing .applesetupdone, when I was able to access login screen, it would not accept the old or new password and username of my admin account was different. Previously uppercase letter and had a space between the admin username. Unsure if related to deleting some var files or if related to security issues I found.

should I try reinstall since I see the option on disk utility? Thanks again for all of your advice on this.

Stuck/can’t get passed set up language loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.