Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screen saver runs in background and will not shut off OS12.6 iMac

How do I close my screen saver that keeps running in the background and will not shut off.

Each time I log on to my computer I get an error message that I shut down my computer with a problem and did I want to open the app that I was using prior to shut down. How do I fix it?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 2, 2022 4:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 9:01 AM

Hi R.D.C,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're seeing an alert that your Mac restarted because of a problem. If that's the case, use these steps to help resolve that:

If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

"Check your software

If the issue is caused by software on your Mac, one of these steps might help:

Check your hardware

Learn how to check your connected devices and other hardware.

Check peripheral devices first

If you don't have any devices attached to your Mac, skip to the next section.

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Disconnect all peripheral devices, such as hard drives or printers. If you have a desktop Mac, make sure that only a display, keyboard, and mouse or trackpad are connected.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Use your Mac for the amount of time that it would usually take for an unexpected restart to occur.
  5. If an unexpected restart occurs, follow the steps to check the internal RAM and third-party hardware.
  6. If an unexpected restart doesn't occur, turn off the Mac and connect one peripheral device at a time until an unexpected restart occurs."

You mentioned a screen saver that is running, can you tell us more about where you're seeing that run in the background?

Thanks.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2022 9:01 AM in response to R.D.C

Hi R.D.C,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're seeing an alert that your Mac restarted because of a problem. If that's the case, use these steps to help resolve that:

If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

"Check your software

If the issue is caused by software on your Mac, one of these steps might help:

Check your hardware

Learn how to check your connected devices and other hardware.

Check peripheral devices first

If you don't have any devices attached to your Mac, skip to the next section.

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Disconnect all peripheral devices, such as hard drives or printers. If you have a desktop Mac, make sure that only a display, keyboard, and mouse or trackpad are connected.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Use your Mac for the amount of time that it would usually take for an unexpected restart to occur.
  5. If an unexpected restart occurs, follow the steps to check the internal RAM and third-party hardware.
  6. If an unexpected restart doesn't occur, turn off the Mac and connect one peripheral device at a time until an unexpected restart occurs."

You mentioned a screen saver that is running, can you tell us more about where you're seeing that run in the background?

Thanks.

Oct 8, 2022 3:38 PM in response to R.D.C

We appreciate you keeping us updated!

We're glad to hear that it's working for you again. If the behavior reappears, let us know if those steps help.

That being said, if you have questions or concerns in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out to us here on Apple Support Communities.

Have a lovely weekend!

screen saver runs in background and will not shut off OS12.6 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.