Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new MacBook M1 Pro can't handle 1080p Multicam editing??

I am using my brand new 14" M1 MacBook Pro to edit a wedding video with 2 1080p clips in the Multicam editor and it lags almost as much as my old 2014 MacBook. This is the one reason I bought this laptop, what is going on??

I'm using a 2021 14 inch MacBook pro with the M1 Pro Chip, 16GB of memory.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Oct 2, 2022 7:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2022 7:13 PM

bradencw Said:

"Brand new MacBook M1 Pro can't handle 1080p Multicam editing??: I am using my brand new 14" M1 MacBook Pro to edit a wedding video with 2 1080p clips in the Multicam editor and it lags almost as much as my old 2014 MacBook. This is the one reason I bought this laptop, what is going on?? I'm using a 2021 14 inch MacBook pro with the M1 Pro Chip, 16GB of memory."

-------

Troubleshooting Lagging Apps:

Redownload this app. It may be a corrupt install.

Troubleshooting a Lagging Mac:

A. Try Safe Mode:

In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Wait: 30 seconds
  4. Restart; your Mac
  5. Log in: as same user

B. See if your Hard drive is Failing:

What to Try:

1. Boot: into Recovery ModeGo Here:  How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac- Apple Support
  2. Select: Disk Utility
  3. Select: the Drive
  4. Click: First Aid button

C. Remove Login Items:

While in Safe Mode, remove all of your Login Items, and then restart the Mac.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items Preferences on Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2022 7:13 PM in response to bradencw

bradencw Said:

"Brand new MacBook M1 Pro can't handle 1080p Multicam editing??: I am using my brand new 14" M1 MacBook Pro to edit a wedding video with 2 1080p clips in the Multicam editor and it lags almost as much as my old 2014 MacBook. This is the one reason I bought this laptop, what is going on?? I'm using a 2021 14 inch MacBook pro with the M1 Pro Chip, 16GB of memory."

-------

Troubleshooting Lagging Apps:

Redownload this app. It may be a corrupt install.

Troubleshooting a Lagging Mac:

A. Try Safe Mode:

In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Wait: 30 seconds
  4. Restart; your Mac
  5. Log in: as same user

B. See if your Hard drive is Failing:

What to Try:

1. Boot: into Recovery ModeGo Here:  How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac- Apple Support
  2. Select: Disk Utility
  3. Select: the Drive
  4. Click: First Aid button

C. Remove Login Items:

While in Safe Mode, remove all of your Login Items, and then restart the Mac.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items Preferences on Mac - Apple Support

Oct 3, 2022 10:13 AM in response to bradencw

That a drive is EXTERNAL should not present an issue.

That a drive is SLOW is so consequential that Black Magic (Video editing software developer) reached outside their area of interest and developed a disk test to quantify whether a drive you connect is fast enough for full speed editing at a particular resolution.

Black Magic disk speed test has become an important general purpose tools for anyone fiddling with drives and concerned about speeds.

Brand new MacBook M1 Pro can't handle 1080p Multicam editing??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.