Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration from el capitan to to m1 mac Monteray

Hiw do I use Migration from el capitan on 2009 MacBook to to m1 mac running Monteray

MacBook Pro 17″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 4:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 5:05 AM

Move your content to a new Mac

7 replies

Oct 3, 2022 6:46 AM in response to dialabrain

Thank you. But my issue is all of my music in I Tunes. Apple Music and iCloud lost most of it. I still have it on my iPhone 5S and my 2909 17” Mac Book pro. Present phone is i13 pro.

i have a 2TB SSD in the new M1 and a 1TB in my old Mac.

i need ti me able to use the mail accounts set up in the 17” MacBook and all photos transferred. I have a feeling this is going to be a nightmare because I don’t even know what new cords I need. I do have 4 TB Fire wire Back up drives. One of them has a startup Drive that matches my 17 inch Mac in case it doesn’t want to start up. I’ve been with Mac since 1984 and I’m getting older and the old brain is not working so well. Thank you for any help you can suggest

Oct 3, 2022 8:06 AM in response to legacyfarm

" One Size does Fit All " so do what is best for this situation

If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 / M2 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

" One Size does Fit All " , so do what is best for this situation

Some have had success and others have been left with a mess when Migrating everything.

1 - Apple Silicon with Big Sur macOS 11, Monterey macOS 12 or Yet to be released macOS 13 Ventura, it Only Support everything 64 bit and there is no workaround.

2 - Issues that may exist on the older computer will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 -  Applications, extensions and Software Drivers may or may not even work on the new computer.

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are Monterey / Big Sur compatible and factor in the ARMs CPU of the Apple Silicon Computer  

Migration from el capitan to to m1 mac Monteray

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.