Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question to Turingtest2

Turingtest2, I hope you are still active. I have reviewed a lot of comments and u have been most helpful. I  just upgraded from an 8 Plus to the 14 Pro.  I have 80 gb of music that I have copied from cd's that I own to my MacBook that I have been synching with my iPhone 8 for the last few years.  After restoring the new 14 from a backup, I found that all of the songs that I had copied from cd to my computer would not play on my new phone. Music that I had purchased from Apple did play.  After searching this community and the internet and spending about 3hr with apple support on phone and in person at the local Genius Bar, the only thing solution we could figure out was that I had to have a subscription to Apple Music to transfer the actual music files to my phone so that I can play them.   Don't always have internet so access to music on phone is important.  Do I have any recourse or is there a way to synch my music without DRM to my phone?  I had not been using iTunes Match or Apple Music previously and had no problem manually synching my music library.  When I try to manually synch the phone the song titles will transfer and be visible on the phone but the associated music file does not transfer.  When I click on the title, which are greyed out, a message that the media is not available in my region pops up. When I try to synch manually, some titles pop up with an error message 3234. I have tried many avenues to correct this:  (restarting, using restore from several backups, checking region on phone, turning "show Apple Music" on and off, turning synch music on and off, trying to synch only part of my library, reset the .itl file that contains the music library database with a new one, and have not found a solution other than the recommendation that I need to subscribe to Apple Music, which I do not need.  The only music that has transferred is music I have downloaded from Apple.  I have an iPad 2021 with the most recent  IOS that synchs all the music without a glitch when backing up and synching. Any suggestions?

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2022 6:06 AM

TT2 u rock. . I sort of did what u suggested. I Renamed my Music file to "old Music" and then created and empty "Music" file in the same folder, turned off copy music file to music media folder , kept keep music media folder organized on then reset Music media location to "Music" file that I had created. When I reopened Music, the files were available (?). I then deleted the Music file I had created, renamed oldMusic to Music, and restarted Music. The files were still playable on the Mac. I then synched the phone with manual music synch turned off (but it did not clear the names of files off the phone ?) then synched with manual music synch on for the entire music library. It worked, and now I have all my playable music on the phone and the computer. Thanks for your help!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2022 6:06 AM in response to turingtest2

TT2 u rock. . I sort of did what u suggested. I Renamed my Music file to "old Music" and then created and empty "Music" file in the same folder, turned off copy music file to music media folder , kept keep music media folder organized on then reset Music media location to "Music" file that I had created. When I reopened Music, the files were available (?). I then deleted the Music file I had created, renamed oldMusic to Music, and restarted Music. The files were still playable on the Mac. I then synched the phone with manual music synch turned off (but it did not clear the names of files off the phone ?) then synched with manual music synch on for the entire music library. It worked, and now I have all my playable music on the phone and the computer. Thanks for your help!

Question to Turingtest2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.