Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to increase RAM memory on iMac 21,5 inch, late 2012?

Is it possible to increase RAM memory on my iMac (iMac 21,5 inch, late 2012; Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7; Processor 2,9GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5; Memory: 8GB, 1600MHz DDR3; 1TB SATA Disk; Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512MB)?

Will a SSD Disk help to increase the speed on my iMac? Also, got recently the Adobe Creative Cloud and sometimes my Mac runs very slow. Also, when opening Photoshop get this notice "Insufficient VRAM (536MB of 1500MB required)".

Thanks

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 10:05 AM

You'd have to check the info specific to your model here: Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support. I've upgraded memory in various Macs over the years and it's usually rather easy. There are YouTube videos on the topic as well.

Similarly, switching to an SSD would definitely help, and they're very cheap these days. I prefer buying from Newegg as their reviews are accurate (unlike Amazon), their sources are good, and their service is excellent in my experience. You may run into limitations with your SSD speed because of the Mac's I/O. SSDs are handy to have for backups anyway - just buy an internal and a case for it, so that if you don't see a performance boost, you can use the drive for other, external purposes. It's also often cheaper than buying an external drive outright.

Web search turned up a number of articles on boosting performance on old Macs. I don't think we can link to external sites here.

Have fun - it's entirely worth it to try. And if it's not enough, you can always repurpose it as a media server or something else (again, quite a few external sites have info on using old Macs)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2022 10:05 AM in response to 7DirtyShoes

You'd have to check the info specific to your model here: Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support. I've upgraded memory in various Macs over the years and it's usually rather easy. There are YouTube videos on the topic as well.

Similarly, switching to an SSD would definitely help, and they're very cheap these days. I prefer buying from Newegg as their reviews are accurate (unlike Amazon), their sources are good, and their service is excellent in my experience. You may run into limitations with your SSD speed because of the Mac's I/O. SSDs are handy to have for backups anyway - just buy an internal and a case for it, so that if you don't see a performance boost, you can use the drive for other, external purposes. It's also often cheaper than buying an external drive outright.

Web search turned up a number of articles on boosting performance on old Macs. I don't think we can link to external sites here.

Have fun - it's entirely worth it to try. And if it's not enough, you can always repurpose it as a media server or something else (again, quite a few external sites have info on using old Macs)

Oct 3, 2022 10:08 AM in response to 7DirtyShoes

3Memory is not removable by users on iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014), iMac (21.5-inch, 2017), iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017), and iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019). If the memory in one of these computers needs repair service, contact an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. If you’d like to upgrade the memory in one of these models, an Apple Authorized Service Provider can help. Before you schedule an appointment, confirm that the specific Apple Authorized Service Provider offers memory upgrade services.

How to increase RAM memory on iMac 21,5 inch, late 2012?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.