Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My phone has stopped auto joining my home network since updating to iOS 16

Hi 👋

got a problem I hope someone can help me with.

Since updating to iOS 16 my iPhone has been doing something odd with my home network. The Wi-Fi network has no password assigned to it but whenever the phone automatically disconnects from the network or I leave and come back, iOS seems to have remembered the network with a password.

I go into Wi-Fi settings and open the Edit menu and the network is listed there but with a lock symbol next to it. If I delete the network from the menu, or use the “forget this network” function and rejoin, then once I leave the network it seems to assign a password back to it agin.

i have wiped and reset my phone and re-installed from a backup with no effect.

I have an iPad and MacBook on the same network but they aren’t effected (assuming because they’re not running a new os) but even forgetting the network on these devices doesn’t help.

I’m using an iPhone 12 Pro MGMP3B/A with 256gb storage and iOS 16.0 (20A362).

any help greatly appreciated!

thanks

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 2:59 PM

I know that you have wiped and reset your iPhone and res installed from a backup. I am thinking that once you restored your iPhone from a backup then it also brought back all the previous settings. This probably did not help change the iPhone’s behavior when connecting to your non-protected Wi-Fi Network. Did this network have a password at one time? I ask because it appears that your iPhone has remembered/saved this network as a secured (with password) network. If not then, I am not quite sure why your iPhone recognizes this Wi-Fi Network as a secured network when it is not.

Have you tried the reset network settings command on the iPhone? If Not, then it is worth trying as follows:

Open Settings ➡️ General ➡️ Transfer or Reset iPhone ➡️ Reset ➡️ Reset Network Settings: This action will complete and restart your iPhone. It will reset all network settings. You will have to renter your remembered Wi-Fi Network passwords when connecting to those Wi-Fi Networks.

Axel F.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2022 2:59 PM in response to Blouk

I know that you have wiped and reset your iPhone and res installed from a backup. I am thinking that once you restored your iPhone from a backup then it also brought back all the previous settings. This probably did not help change the iPhone’s behavior when connecting to your non-protected Wi-Fi Network. Did this network have a password at one time? I ask because it appears that your iPhone has remembered/saved this network as a secured (with password) network. If not then, I am not quite sure why your iPhone recognizes this Wi-Fi Network as a secured network when it is not.

Have you tried the reset network settings command on the iPhone? If Not, then it is worth trying as follows:

Open Settings ➡️ General ➡️ Transfer or Reset iPhone ➡️ Reset ➡️ Reset Network Settings: This action will complete and restart your iPhone. It will reset all network settings. You will have to renter your remembered Wi-Fi Network passwords when connecting to those Wi-Fi Networks.

Axel F.

My phone has stopped auto joining my home network since updating to iOS 16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.