You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get my contacts back in my new iPhone

How to get my contacts back in my replacement iphone

iPhone 13, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 3:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2022 12:24 PM

Hi MaryH72,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today.

Were your contacts syncing with iCloud? Go to Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud > Contacts and make sure it is switched on. You would of course need to be signed into the same Apple ID you were using previously, but this should bring iCloud Contacts back. If you restored a backup, these settings should have returned at the same time.

It's possible you will need to Restore contacts stored in iCloud on iCloud.com.

"You can restore your contacts from an earlier version that was automatically archived in iCloud. For example, you might want to restore an earlier version of your contacts to recover some that were accidentally deleted.

When you restore an earlier version, your current version is first archived in iCloud, so if you change your mind, you can go back to it.

1. On iCloud.com, go to Account Settings, then click Restore Contacts in the Advanced section.
  2. Available versions are listed by the date and time they were archived.
  3. To the right of the version you want to restore, click Restore.
  4. There may be more versions than can be displayed. Scroll to see them all.

Note: Wait until iCloud finishes restoring your contacts before you change them. During the restore process, any changes you make aren’t saved."

If you weren't using iCloud, you may have been syncing with a third-party service like Gmail or Yahoo. This article has steps that can get those back on your device: Manage and delete contacts on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

"Set up your contacts account

You can set up your email accounts to share contacts with the Contacts app. If you have a contacts account, like a business or school directory, you can set that up too. Here's how:

1. Go to Settings > Contacts > Accounts.
  2. Tap Add Account.
  3. Tap the service that you have an account with. Or tap Other to set up a contacts account, like an LDAP or CardDAV account.
  4. Enter your information and password.
  5. Tap Next.

If you have multiple accounts set up in the Contacts app and want to see contacts for a specific one, open Contacts and tap Groups in the upper-left corner."

Once again, if you had restored a backup to the new iPhone these settings should have returned.

Let us know more details if you need further help.

Have a fantastic day!

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 5, 2022 12:24 PM in response to MaryH72

Hi MaryH72,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today.

Were your contacts syncing with iCloud? Go to Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud > Contacts and make sure it is switched on. You would of course need to be signed into the same Apple ID you were using previously, but this should bring iCloud Contacts back. If you restored a backup, these settings should have returned at the same time.

It's possible you will need to Restore contacts stored in iCloud on iCloud.com.

"You can restore your contacts from an earlier version that was automatically archived in iCloud. For example, you might want to restore an earlier version of your contacts to recover some that were accidentally deleted.

When you restore an earlier version, your current version is first archived in iCloud, so if you change your mind, you can go back to it.

1. On iCloud.com, go to Account Settings, then click Restore Contacts in the Advanced section.
  2. Available versions are listed by the date and time they were archived.
  3. To the right of the version you want to restore, click Restore.
  4. There may be more versions than can be displayed. Scroll to see them all.

Note: Wait until iCloud finishes restoring your contacts before you change them. During the restore process, any changes you make aren’t saved."

If you weren't using iCloud, you may have been syncing with a third-party service like Gmail or Yahoo. This article has steps that can get those back on your device: Manage and delete contacts on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

"Set up your contacts account

You can set up your email accounts to share contacts with the Contacts app. If you have a contacts account, like a business or school directory, you can set that up too. Here's how:

1. Go to Settings > Contacts > Accounts.
  2. Tap Add Account.
  3. Tap the service that you have an account with. Or tap Other to set up a contacts account, like an LDAP or CardDAV account.
  4. Enter your information and password.
  5. Tap Next.

If you have multiple accounts set up in the Contacts app and want to see contacts for a specific one, open Contacts and tap Groups in the upper-left corner."

Once again, if you had restored a backup to the new iPhone these settings should have returned.

Let us know more details if you need further help.

Have a fantastic day!

How do I get my contacts back in my new iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.