Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Frame rate and workflow

I filmed a load of holiday footage on an iPhone in 60fps.

I created a project in FCPX in 24fps so that I’m able to slow parts down.

The problem is, the playback during editing is unreliable.

Frames are dropping, and it looks a mess.

I’m constantly having to export segments to see how they look, and it’s taking me forever.

The original content was about 8 hours, and I now have 42 minutes on the timeline.

I normally shoot in 30fps, and edit from within a 30fps timeline without any problem.

SETTINGS:

FCPX 10.4.6

Better performance

Optimised/original

MAC SPECS

27inch late 2013

3.2 GHz intel core i5

32GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB

1TB Solid state drive.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 7:12 AM

You could try making proxies, as it seems that your mac has trouble handling that media.

Make proxies for just a few clips, and change the settings to "Proxy Preferred" in the little menu at the top right of the Viewer.

This way you can easily compare how your mac handles proxy vs original media. If proxy helps, make proxies for the rest.

When ready to export, change back to Optimized/Original.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2022 7:12 AM in response to lilleshall

You could try making proxies, as it seems that your mac has trouble handling that media.

Make proxies for just a few clips, and change the settings to "Proxy Preferred" in the little menu at the top right of the Viewer.

This way you can easily compare how your mac handles proxy vs original media. If proxy helps, make proxies for the rest.

When ready to export, change back to Optimized/Original.

Frame rate and workflow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.