Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disappearing emails on iPhone and iPad

On my gmail account as well as several other accounts maintained by my webhost, mesaages randomly disappear. It seems not to matter what email address sent the messages. They are visible one minute and then just gone, sometimes on both the iPad and iPhone, sometimes on only one or the other. If I search for the messages by entering a search term such as "gmail," the message is sometimes listed in the search results, yet if I try to select the message, nothing is displayed. The same messages continue to be displayed with no problems by Mail on my iMac.

iPad mini 5 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 7:26 AM

Hey Francis Lupo,

Are both your iPhone and iPad up to date? This could help with Mail issues if not. You can read how to update here:

1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
4. Choose the software update that you want to install. You can choose to stay on iOS or iPadOS 15 and still get important security updates. Or you can choose the option to upgrade to iOS or iPadOS 16.
5. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now.

Update your iPhone or iPad

If that doesn’t help, remove the affected accounts from your iPhone and iPad, restart, then add them back. This could also have an impact on the issue. You can read how here:

1. Go to Settings  > Mail > Accounts.
2. Tap the email account you want to remove, then do one of the following:
• If you’re removing an iCloud email account: Tap iCloud, tap iCloud Mail, then turn off “Use on this device.”
• If you’re removing another email account: Turn off Mail.
Note: To remove the email account from all apps on your device, tap Delete Account.

Add and remove email accounts on iPhone

Add and remove email accounts on iPad 

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2022 7:26 AM in response to Francis Lupo

Hey Francis Lupo,

Are both your iPhone and iPad up to date? This could help with Mail issues if not. You can read how to update here:

1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
4. Choose the software update that you want to install. You can choose to stay on iOS or iPadOS 15 and still get important security updates. Or you can choose the option to upgrade to iOS or iPadOS 16.
5. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now.

Update your iPhone or iPad

If that doesn’t help, remove the affected accounts from your iPhone and iPad, restart, then add them back. This could also have an impact on the issue. You can read how here:

1. Go to Settings  > Mail > Accounts.
2. Tap the email account you want to remove, then do one of the following:
• If you’re removing an iCloud email account: Tap iCloud, tap iCloud Mail, then turn off “Use on this device.”
• If you’re removing another email account: Turn off Mail.
Note: To remove the email account from all apps on your device, tap Delete Account.

Add and remove email accounts on iPhone

Add and remove email accounts on iPad 

Take care.

Disappearing emails on iPhone and iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.