Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A software update is required to connect to iPhone. Apple now requiring software update via dialog box?

I got a dialog box saying I needed to install software to connect my iPhone 13. Is Apple now doing software updates via dialog box that pops up on the screen when you attach a device? Isn't that what hackers due to install viruses? The update should go to the normal macos update process.

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 12:58 PM

Here is the Apple Support article that explains this.

If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies

Oct 4, 2022 12:46 PM in response to jcpc

jcpc wrote:

I got a dialog box saying I needed to install software to connect my iPhone 13. Is Apple now doing software updates via dialog box that pops up on the screen when you attach a device? Isn't that what hackers due to install viruses? The update should go to the normal macos update process.

That’s been a longstanding question, and longstanding means of updating the device compatibility of iTunes or of Finder, when a new-to-the-currently-installed-version iPhone is added, and that update then usually updates itself in the background. Why it doesn’t use the standard macOS update mechanism?

A software update is required to connect to iPhone. Apple now requiring software update via dialog box?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.