Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does this message "A software update is required to connect to iPhone" pop up EVERY SINGLE TIME I connect my iPhone?

Practically every time I plug my iPhone (via USB cable) into my MacBook Air, a message pops up "A software update is required to connect to iPhone". If I simply ignore it, nothing bad happens - I can download photos, run a backup, etc. - and going directly to Software Update in System Preferences shows no recommended update for my MacBook, except the new Ventura update (which definitely should not be NEEDED to use my iPhone with my Mac). Is this just an annoying prodding from Apple to make sure we all upgrade to whatever the newest OS is?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 7:30 AM

Are you referring to this?

If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

If your Mac says a software update is required to connect to iPhone or iPad – Apple Support (UK)

You may need to update the software on your Mac in order for it to recognise your iOS device

Click Install to download and install the software so your Mac can update or sync your iOS device.

It is just a small patch for macOS.

You won't notice that update by the way, it only lasted 3 minutes or so.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2022 7:30 AM in response to Sebastian Kuhn

Are you referring to this?

If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

If your Mac says a software update is required to connect to iPhone or iPad – Apple Support (UK)

You may need to update the software on your Mac in order for it to recognise your iOS device

Click Install to download and install the software so your Mac can update or sync your iOS device.

It is just a small patch for macOS.

You won't notice that update by the way, it only lasted 3 minutes or so.

Dec 24, 2022 8:32 AM in response to Raicya

I know that's what we are SUPPOSED to do. However, as I stated, everything works just as well if I ignore that message. Worse, even after following the prompt and doing the update, the SAME message pops back up the very next time I connect my iPhone to my Mac. Wouldn't any ACTUALLY necessary update automatically get taken care of whenever I follow the update prompt directly from System Preferences (which I do religiously)

Why does this message "A software update is required to connect to iPhone" pop up EVERY SINGLE TIME I connect my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.