Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband Sound Library download fail

Can anyone help please? I have recently upgraded to an a new iMac (after using a 2012 model), I've gone into GB and wanted to download the entire sound library. It's asking me for a password to download. After I confirm my PW it says not able to download, close GB and reopen to download ...which I do. It will then try to download for a few minutes and then pop up with the same fail message again. I've tried this 3 or 4 times now and still not working. Th options to download in the pref drop down are now greyed out and I can't start again. Anyone have any solutions?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 5, 2022 3:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2022 3:16 PM

So, I ended up calling support on the Applecare line as Mac is new. Well, as a long time Mac user… I should have hung my head in shame lol. It was as simple as a GB software update in App Store. Sound library downloaded in 20 minutes with no issues. Hope that works for you.

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 7, 2022 9:52 AM in response to Tony Follano1

Same issue on a MBP 16" 2021 M1 Max. OSX 12.4. GB 10.4.5. 2TB of free space. I wait for the download to finish and then enter the administrator creds and it says: "GarageBand was not able to install the new sounds. Close and re-open GarageBand to download and install them again." Same endless loop. No way to cancel. Made the mistake of trying the "Restore Sound Library" option to see if that would resolve the issue and now that is stuck in the same endless loop. Frustrating that it's designed this way in the first place. Most apps that have a built in library of sounds that can be downloaded don't need administrator creds to install the additional library of sounds.

Did you find any fixes or work-arounds?

Oct 5, 2022 5:25 AM in response to Tony Follano1

Update: I tried it again. This time it 'downloaded' for about 15mins (16.34 gb) ...did the total download. Got to the end and as soon as I thought it was successful it asked for my password again and then proceeded to tell my the download had failed and to close and open GB again. So I did and it tried to download from the start again. Unless I cancel the download it seems to put itself into a perpetual loop. Anyone else getting this?

Garageband Sound Library download fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.