Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine won't back up to G drive. Indicates back up, but doesn't

Time machine will not back up to G drive. Did in the past, but not in the past month. Reaches 14% and then goes no further.

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Oct 5, 2022 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2022 12:29 PM

If the G-Drive is older than 4 years it may have failed, all HD's fail so it's not a matter of if it is a matter of when. When posting it on these forums, please tells us the model year iMac and version of Mac OS currently installed. Also, if you have done any of your own troubleshooting please let us know that too.

To begin I'd recommend restarting the computer in Safe Mode, just click the link for instructions. Then do the obvious and check the physical connections (unplug the USB cable, try another USB cable etc..). If you are still having a problem open Disk Utility (Applications - Utilities - Disk Utility) and run First Aid on the G drive. If any errors appear that just confirms my hunch that it may have failed however First Aid is not a professional diagnostic tool so it can miss problems. However if it does find issues they are correct.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2022 12:29 PM in response to Sidney2010

If the G-Drive is older than 4 years it may have failed, all HD's fail so it's not a matter of if it is a matter of when. When posting it on these forums, please tells us the model year iMac and version of Mac OS currently installed. Also, if you have done any of your own troubleshooting please let us know that too.

To begin I'd recommend restarting the computer in Safe Mode, just click the link for instructions. Then do the obvious and check the physical connections (unplug the USB cable, try another USB cable etc..). If you are still having a problem open Disk Utility (Applications - Utilities - Disk Utility) and run First Aid on the G drive. If any errors appear that just confirms my hunch that it may have failed however First Aid is not a professional diagnostic tool so it can miss problems. However if it does find issues they are correct.

Time machine won't back up to G drive. Indicates back up, but doesn't

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.