Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New feature proposal for "New Folder with Selection"-function in Finder

In Finder, when you select some files and then use the "New Folder with Selection"-function, Mac OS creates a folder with all the selected files and names this folder "New Folder with Objects". So far, so good. But: It would be even better if the folder name would be based on the files selected. Say, you have files named "success story-1", "success story-2" ... "success story-10", the folder name would turn into "success story". How convenient would that be, don't you think?

Posted on Oct 5, 2022 12:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2022 2:26 PM

What if your files are named "bob's tax info," "car parts list," and "Potatoes, the forgotten fruit?"

I can't remember ever creating files with sequential names.

Feedback - macOS - Apple

5 replies

Oct 6, 2022 12:01 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for your reply. And I agree with you, the machine should be „intelligent” enough to determine if the file names are indeed sequential or not. For example, I often create similar documents that only differ in the date in the file name. And even if the automatic folder naming results in gibberish, the name that has been created so far has to be changed manually too. So for those, nothing changes.

Oct 6, 2022 8:24 AM in response to schler

Not sure I agree that this would be a benefit or a hassle. Maybe I'm not understanding your use case.

So I have files named "Bob 2010 Tax Form", "Gary 2010 Tax Form", "Bob 2011 Tax Form", "Gary 2011 Tax Form", etc Would the system create a folder named "2010 Taxes", "Bob Taxes", "Taxes", "Gary Taxes", Gary 2010 Taxes", "Forms", "Bob Forms", Gary Forms", "2010", "2011"..., or what?

I would rather determine folder names rather than have the system guess how I want items filed.

Oct 6, 2022 10:43 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

The idea would be that the system finds the greatest common ground. If you only select "Bob 2010 Tax Form" and "Gary 2010 Tax Form" the result would be "2010 Tax Form", and if you select "Bob 2010 Tax Form", "Gary 2010 Tax Form", "Bob 2011 Tax Form" and "Gary 2011 Tax Form" it would just create "Tax Form". If you choose "Bob 2010 Tax Form" and "Bob 2011 Tax Form" you would (ideally) get "Bob Tax Form".

If you do not like the result you can still rename the folder, something you would do anyway. But the folder name would be much less generic than the default "New folder with Objects". And for those users who do not like the function at all, there should be the possibility to disable it in the system settings of course. For users like me, it would be a welcome little facilitation that gives you the feeling that someone in Cupertino has thought a step further than, say, in Redmond.

Oct 6, 2022 4:05 PM in response to schler

That's all well and good, but nobody here can change it. Nobody here can even present it as a change request.

Send your feedback to Apple if you would like to see that feature. If they already have some AI to combine things like that, it might be simple to implement. If they don't, my guess is there isn't enough interest to waste time on developing.

New feature proposal for "New Folder with Selection"-function in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.