Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhones recently having trouble texting with Android users.

My wife and I both have new issues texting whenever it involves Android users. We aren’t seeing group texts, and we can’t send photos.

This was not an issue until a couple weeks ago. She has an XR, and I have a 12 Pro Max - both with iOS 16. We are on Verizon.

My message settings have SMS turned on. I’m not sure what to do, nor do I know why this suddenly started happening.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 5, 2022 9:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2022 9:59 PM

There is no setting to turn SMS messaging on or off on an iPhone. There's a setting that allows you to tell the iPhone that, if an iMessage fails, to automatically resend the message as an SMS. However, it has no effect on messages that are originally sent as SMS messages.

Make sure that you have Settings>Messages>MMS Messaging and Settings>Messages>Group Messaging enabled.

If that doesn't help, contact Verizon.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2022 9:59 PM in response to mplsike

There is no setting to turn SMS messaging on or off on an iPhone. There's a setting that allows you to tell the iPhone that, if an iMessage fails, to automatically resend the message as an SMS. However, it has no effect on messages that are originally sent as SMS messages.

Make sure that you have Settings>Messages>MMS Messaging and Settings>Messages>Group Messaging enabled.

If that doesn't help, contact Verizon.

Oct 5, 2022 10:10 PM in response to mplsike

SMS is a carrier feature so only Verizon can fix it. If I were still working for Verizon, my first thought would be to remove SMS messaging from our account, refresh the account and turn it back on again.

Something to keep in mind. When you call Verizon, even if you select the option for "Technical Support", the first person you get is a customer service rep with a little extra training and a set of scripts for how to deal with common problems. Some of them might be quite talented, some may not be. If they can't help you, politely but persistently request that your call be escalated.

One other thing you might do before braving another call to Verizon is to reset your network settings. Settings>General>Transfer or Reset iPhone>Reset>Reset Network Settings. You will lose saved WiFi passwords but that should be the extent of it.

iPhones recently having trouble texting with Android users.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.