You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you disable Multi-Tasking on iPad OS15

Hi there,

I recently updated my elderly parents old iPad, as there one was dying. For some reason, they seem to keep triggering multi-tasking and it causes them a lot of anguish. They can never close out of it and there also seems to be a weird bug they keep hitting where it will overlay one app completely on top of another (i.e. mail overlays photos).

They have zero use case for multi-tasking and I could just disable it for them and stop them triggering it, but I don't seem to be able to find a way to do that?

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 3:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 3:39 AM

Unlike iPadOS14 and earlier versions, multi-tasking cannot now be disabled from settings. Multi-tasking has received a significant overhaul, both simplifying its use and introducing new controls.

Key to accessing and controlling (or avoiding) multi-tasking is the small “three-dot” button that is found at the top-centre edge of the screen.

More information about using multi-tasking can be found in this support page:

Use multitasking on your iPad - Apple Support

The iPad User Guide is also a rich source of information about using iPad and its many features. The Guide is available both online using a web browser (such as Safari), or as an Apple Books download:

iPad User Guide - Apple Support

https://books.apple.com/book/id1567104892

Apple do invite submission of comments and feature requests via its Product Feedback portal. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Be aware that with future release of iPadOS16 (anticipated sometime in October), multitasking is likely to experience a further degree of overhaul. While the details of changes will not be known prior to production release, there will be changes and further enhancements.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 6, 2022 3:39 AM in response to el-gordo666

Unlike iPadOS14 and earlier versions, multi-tasking cannot now be disabled from settings. Multi-tasking has received a significant overhaul, both simplifying its use and introducing new controls.

Key to accessing and controlling (or avoiding) multi-tasking is the small “three-dot” button that is found at the top-centre edge of the screen.

More information about using multi-tasking can be found in this support page:

Use multitasking on your iPad - Apple Support

The iPad User Guide is also a rich source of information about using iPad and its many features. The Guide is available both online using a web browser (such as Safari), or as an Apple Books download:

iPad User Guide - Apple Support

https://books.apple.com/book/id1567104892

Apple do invite submission of comments and feature requests via its Product Feedback portal. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Be aware that with future release of iPadOS16 (anticipated sometime in October), multitasking is likely to experience a further degree of overhaul. While the details of changes will not be known prior to production release, there will be changes and further enhancements.

Oct 6, 2022 4:08 AM in response to el-gordo666

I have no argument with your view - however, you seek to disable principal functionality of the core Operating System.

While iOS for iPhone (without multitasking) and iPadOS for iPad (with multitasking) are closely related, since release of iPadOS13 some years ago, iOS and iPadOS are different Operating Systems with different capabilities.

Can you disable Multi-Tasking on iPad OS15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.