Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File size of Apple Contact Profile Photo

Hi,

I just exported my iPhone contacts to my computer and see that the address book is huge (800MB). I also had noticed that my contacts app was very laggy when i was using it. When i checked the exported contacts list i came to realise many of the contact photos that i have added are really big (4-8MB each (average 2-3MB) and i have 2000+ contacts (see below screengrab). So basically I need to find a way to reduce them easily.

Is there a way for me to bulk resize them? Changing each one individually is not an option due to the sheer number. I am quite meticulous in how i format my contacts and almost every one has a profile pic.

My gut feeling is that the file size should be around 100-200k.

Appreciate the guidance.

Edit: Im not entirely sure if this post belongs in this forum. I didn't see anything in the subjects options pertaining to contacts.app. If there is a moderator than can put it in a more appropriate forum please do.

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 3:58 AM

5 replies

Oct 7, 2022 12:28 PM in response to Seychellian

Hey Seychellian,

The size of your images being displayed depends on the resolution of the image that was saved to your contacts. There isn’t any way to to change the size of each contact image all at once. You could manually change each individual picture. If you like, you can leave feedback about changes you’d like to see to how contact uses images here: Product Feedback - Apple

Take care.

Oct 9, 2022 6:51 AM in response to Seychellian

Seychellian,

Here's some additional information about Contacts in iCloud, which should help to answer your question:

Contacts
• Total number of contact cards: 50,000
• Maximum size of a contact card: 256KB
• Maximum size of a contact photo: 224KB
• Maximum size of a contact group: 256KB
• Maximum size of all contact cards:
Card text: 48MB
Card photos: 200MB
• Supported file types for a contact photo: JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF
• vCard import limits:
• Total number of vCards: 50,000
• Maximum size of a vCard: 256KB (photo + text)
• Maximum photo size for a vCard: 224KB

Limits for iCloud Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Bookmarks, and Maps - Apple Support

Here is the feedback link again, if you'd still like to leave feedback:

Product Feedback - Apple

Enjoy your day!

File size of Apple Contact Profile Photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.