Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you purchase the same app in separate Family Sharing accounts

Is it possible to purchase the same app in the Mac App Store in different Apple ID accounts under Family Sharing? I know that it is cheaper and easier to just use Family Sharing, but there are some key apps that are very important to my daughter who just went to the University, which I want her to own herself. This way she can take the app with her when she leaves our Family Sharing account. With everyone trying to move people to a subscription model, these apps are still one-time purchases and I would like her to have them before she leaves our Family Sharing.

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 12:29 PM

Yes. She can go to the App Store app, find them and purchase them normally by clicking on the price button for each App.

Family Sharing does not prevent anyone form making purchases on their own.

They will still be charged to you, as part of Family Sharing unless she has gift card credit balance, but will be tied to her account and she can keep them once she leaves Family Sharing.

Also, just because she's going to University, does not mean she needs to leave Family Sharing. You can be part of a Family Sharing group even if you don't live in the same house or even the same country. The only restriction is that she keeps her Apple ID set the same country as you.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2022 12:29 PM in response to Odyssean

Yes. She can go to the App Store app, find them and purchase them normally by clicking on the price button for each App.

Family Sharing does not prevent anyone form making purchases on their own.

They will still be charged to you, as part of Family Sharing unless she has gift card credit balance, but will be tied to her account and she can keep them once she leaves Family Sharing.

Also, just because she's going to University, does not mean she needs to leave Family Sharing. You can be part of a Family Sharing group even if you don't live in the same house or even the same country. The only restriction is that she keeps her Apple ID set the same country as you.

How do you purchase the same app in separate Family Sharing accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.